Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import pics using sd card

I am sometimes out and about and want to post to Facebook some pictures I take with my Canon camera and/or want to view on larger screen. However, I need a way to get it on my iPad. I know there is a connection kit. But I am concerned that I will not have the same flexibility I have at home (Aperture) in importing. I like the auto event/project feature. And I like the rename filename (to yyyy-mm-dd and image name) feature particularly. When importing into iPad using the connection hardware, are you given such options? Is there an app that would? Are there any items lost in an iPad import that aperture would catch? I know iPhoto, for example doesn't assign time zone like aperture can. I'd like to not have to import more than once. I already have photo stream turned on. So I'd have duplicates if I imported from sd card to aperture when got home. But I don't want to lose any of the data that would otherwise be there.

Any help on a workflow would be greatly appreciated. I suppose if there isn't a real good option, I can opt to take my MacBook, but was hoping for portability of iPad.

Thanks for any feedback!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 5:55 AM

2 replies

Jun 9, 2014 7:12 AM in response to kahlua021997

The iPad will auto sort by creation date into groups as set by the camera in the image's metadata.

Renaming is also done automatically though it uses a img_xxxx.jpg convention. Where xxxx is a unique number.

Since you can't actually see file names in an iPad its of little consequence how they are named.

kahlua021997 wrote:

Are there any items lost in an iPad import that aperture would catch? I know iPhoto, for example doesn't assign time zone like aperture can.

TimeZone is not part of the image's metadata. GPS location and time are, so it may be able to extrapolate from that. Its not really something that the Photo handler on iPad does though.

There are however many Photo managers on the iPad in which you could arrange and oder the photos after importing them.

Jun 9, 2014 9:01 AM in response to kahlua021997

You can use a USB flash drive & the camera connection kit.

Plug the USB flash drive (works the same with an SD card) into your computer & create a new folder titled DCIM. Then put your movie/photo files into the folder. The files must have a filename with exactly 8 characters long (no spaces) plus the file extension (i.e., my-movie.mov; DSCN0164.jpg).

Now plug the flash drive into the iPad using the camera connection kit. Open the Photos app, the movie/photo files should appear & you can import. (You can not export using the camera connection kit.)

Using The iPad Camera Connection Kit

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4101

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Import pics using sd card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.