Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod touch(1st gen) stuck in recovery mode and cannot restore??

I just bought a used ipod touch 1st gen. It was fully functional before I wiped it. I wanted to remove all of the other person's music and personal info before I started using it. I also wanted to update ios. I wiped it and when it restarted it was in recovery mode. I have tried to restore it and I keep getting an error message that it could not restore unknown error has occurred (1). I have tried troubleshooting and going through all of the steps that Apple suggests and nothing has worked. Any suggestions? I just want it restored and updated to the latest ios that will work with it (3.1.1 I believe) I don't know what to do at this point.

iPod touch, iOS 1.x, Want to update ios to 3.1.1 as well

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 8:54 AM

Ipod touch 1st gen stuck in recovery mode (SOLVED)

I had the same problem and this forum was one area I looked for help. I speculated that the problem was that ITunes had been updated so much that it left my 1st gen in the dust. This was correct.

First uninstall iTunes COMPLETLEY. If there are any bits left old ITunes wont run properly. Next find version 11.0 ITunes software. I downloaded mine from Oldapps.com. After going through the install and conversion process your Ipod 1st gen should be restored. After that you can update to the current version and everything should work fine.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2015 8:54 AM in response to santaself

Ipod touch 1st gen stuck in recovery mode (SOLVED)

I had the same problem and this forum was one area I looked for help. I speculated that the problem was that ITunes had been updated so much that it left my 1st gen in the dust. This was correct.

First uninstall iTunes COMPLETLEY. If there are any bits left old ITunes wont run properly. Next find version 11.0 ITunes software. I downloaded mine from Oldapps.com. After going through the install and conversion process your Ipod 1st gen should be restored. After that you can update to the current version and everything should work fine.

Jun 9, 2014 8:54 AM in response to nreynolds411

ERROR (1)

- Place the iPod in DFU mode and then restore

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

- Try on another computer

- Try another cable

- Also, confirm your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers.

- If still not successful that usually indicates a hardware problem and an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store is in order.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Jun 11, 2014 10:37 PM in response to lllaass

This is kind of ridiculous. I had this happen to me to my old iPod touch about 6 months ago. It worked perfectly fine until I plugged it into iTunes and tried to restore it. I got the same unknown error message, took it to the Genius Bar, and was told that it was a hardware problem and that there was no way to fix it. Cool, I had a working iPod until I decided to plug it into iTunes and run the restore.

Now, I just got another iPod touch (1st gen) from a friend. It worked PERFECTLY, until I just plugged it into iTunes and tried to restore it. I got the exact same error message and overall the exact same problem.

So, if someone chooses to respond to this thread, please say something meaningful and don't say it's a hardware problem or to try another wire...

Dec 12, 2014 10:42 AM in response to Enozilla

I'm right there with you. I found my 1st gen iPod in a drawer. Plugged it into a wall outlet and it turned on in a few minute. I was able to scroll around and see what I had. I figured if I plug it into iTunes then I can sync some music. Same exact thing happened to me, once I plugged it into iTunes it wouldn't go past the iTunes screen on the iPod. I get the error 1 message and it's basically a brick now. Sure seems like this is an easy to phase out obsolete products. So weird why this would happen.

Jan 5, 2015 5:19 AM in response to nreynolds411

1.Turn off your device. If you can't turn it off, press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time and wait a few seconds for it to turn off.

2.Plug the device's USB cable into your computer only.

3.Hold down the device's Home button as you connect the USB cable to it.

4.When you see the Connect to iTunes screen, release the Home button. If you don't see this screen, try steps 1 through 3 one more time.

5.Use iTunes to restore your device.

Additional Information:

If you started your device in recovery mode by mistake, restart it to exit recovery mode. Or you can just wait—after 15 minutes the device will exit recovery mode by itself. If you want a faster way to fix iPod stuck in recovery mode, try iPod data recovery software.

Feb 5, 2015 7:27 AM in response to nreynolds411

Okay... I am having the same issue...my dad had an ipod 1st gen and when he synced to itunes so he cud use it in his new car we got locked in recovery mode. I cannot get into dfu setting no matter how i try. (After 3 hrs, i'm pretty sure I wud have hit the right timing! :-) ) I have tried recovering it on 2 diff computers...one a mac and the other an hp. I did see a post somewhere that a person was finally able to get the ipod to get into dfu mode after they deleted the ipad root. I wud try that, but I don't know where that root wud be. (I just cannot find that site now.) We r not the only ones with this prob. finding lots and lots of disgruntled posts on the net.

Aug 21, 2015 7:55 AM in response to sunscour

seems to be working so far. Thank you!

Community seems far more helpful as opposed to 'apple service support'.

They flat out refused to assist this product because its 'beyond' vintange. Ha! And recommended that we buy a new ipod as we have gotten a long and fruitful life out of this product. Bloody amazing!

Yeah let me trash my old apple products and get the brand new ones.

Thank you folks!

Ipod touch(1st gen) stuck in recovery mode and cannot restore??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.