Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMB remote access does not work but local does?

Hello World,

Local access to our file server is working for AFP and SMB. Remote access to the server via AFP works but SMB doesn't.

If I use the SMB protocol with a mac (go to server smb://XX.XX.XX.XX) I get the error "There was a problem connecting to the server". If I use the SMB protocol and trying mapping the drive with a PC I get a prompt for user name and password but the message is "Windows cannot access...".

We recently moved to a new location with a new modem/router/firewall so I reconfigured the modem but now remote PC access doesn't work. I've done this once before at our previous location and everything appeared to connect fine. I upgraded to the lastest OS and Server software in hopes of resolving the issue. I'm running OS X v10.9.3 with Server v3.2.1.

Ports 548 (AFP) and 139 (SMB) have been opened on the modem/router/firewall. I've tried other ports that supposed work with SMB (161), since upgrading and I believe the issue lies in an incorrect port number but all the ones I've tried online haven't resolved the issue.

Additionally I find the remote access speed very slow. What would someone suggest be the minimun upload/download speed for a mac file server to be for remote access?

Edit: I've resolved it.

There were additional ports required:

137-139 and 445

Source:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5884

I would still like to know suggested upload/download speed for the file server's prompt response.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), With Server 3.2.1

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 10:49 AM

There are no replies.

SMB remote access does not work but local does?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.