Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RSD repair times?

I sent in my mac book last sunday and it shows that it has been received by apple since the 6th. I have called apple care a few times and have been told that my part is on order.

Just curious how long did it take everyone else out there to have your computers repaired?

MacBook 2.0 ghz White, Mac OS X (10.4.7), I own a gateway now due to RSS

Posted on Sep 10, 2006 5:55 PM

38 replies

Sep 10, 2006 11:50 PM in response to JonJon602

I took mine to the Apple store in San Jose on the 23rd of August. It's been sitting at Apple since the 25th.

They told me it would take a week to get back to me. This is the second time its gone in for repair. They said they'd expedite it because of that, and because I'm a student and needed it for school. No such luck.

Meanwhile, my phone support ran out, so I can't even call and ask whats going on.

:: sigh ::

It would be nice to have a working machine again. I'd like to take it to class...

Sep 11, 2006 6:57 AM in response to JonJon602

Brought our MacBook in for repair of RSD on August 24 and it was promised by August 31. Parts were on order. Called Applecare on the 31st and they put the parts on "expedited status", requesting them worldwide. On September 4 they could not locate any parts anywhere, so they offered to order us a replacement computer. When ordering was going to take another 2 weeks, they called our local Apple Store and they had a new MacBook set up. Apple swapped out the hard drive from the defective MacBook and we have the new computer, received on Sept 9. Apple did the right thing by issuing a replacement. I found that good manners and persistence in calling AppleCare and were essential.

iMac G5, MacBook Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Sep 11, 2006 9:04 AM in response to muze

The first time I needed the logic board replaced it took my local repair center about a week and a half to get the part in. Once they got it I brought the 'Book in on Friday afternoon and they called me to pick it up Saturday morning.

Sadly, the replacement logic board hasn't done the trick since in addition to having to reset the PRAM for nearly every boot from a 'shutdown state' I now also started having random shutdown issues.

So I called my repair center back on Wednesday or Thursday and they said they'd order another new logic board. Then this morning (Monday) they called to tell me the part was in. I've dropped my 'Book off again just before noon and expect to have it back before I go home from work tonight.

The lessons here:

1) Even the most drastic step of replacing the main logic board may not fix the RSD problem. (Apple still doesn't definitively know what is causing sudden shutdowns and a mlb replacement is essentially a 'shotgun' approach to replace everything that could possibly be the culprit.)

2) Logic boards seem to be more readily available now than 2-3 weeks ago.

3) Having a local repair center at your disposal makes enduring these repairs so much more bearable.

Good luck to everyone with these problems - I hope you get a successful repair soon!

13" Macbook | 2 GHz | 1 GB RAM | Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Sep 11, 2006 9:43 AM in response to jcaputo4

If you can handle the long wait times, I would call Apple Care again and ask them to please do their "world-wide search" for your parts, since they must give you an answer in 48 hours with this expedited search. Then, after the 48 hours are up, call again and ask what the next step will be, since you cannot remain "on hold for parts" indefinitely. I had an Apple supervisor in the repair depot who moved things along very quickly once that 48 hour search for the parts showed none anywhere in the world. Keep at it, because they can do better and you need to keep them moving on getting your MB back to you.

iMac G5, MacBook Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Sep 12, 2006 6:10 PM in response to JonJon602

just to give folks an update it is the 12th and the
part is still on order.

ArG this is becoming very fustrating!

has anyone gotten their mac books back from repair
yet?

JonJon, they're giving you the run around. The Apple Store here in SoHo, NYC sent mine in for repair this past Friday, Sept. 8th. According to the "Check my repair status" update on this website, it says I should see my 'puter tomorrow. Unless they failed to replace the logic board in mine, I think they're forgetting you.

Sep 13, 2006 4:03 PM in response to a44v589

I took mine back on the 31st August. The website still says 'diagnosing' for the status of the repair (despite being the 14th Sept, and being told it would take maximum of 1 week by the apple store).

I complained vigorously today, telling them i needed it for work and it had gone on well beyond the time i had been quoted. After about 10 minutes, the chap i was dealing with told me i was getting a new replacement, and they copied all my data onto it. From the depths of terrible customer experience, apple have redeemed themselves. I wish they could have done it quicker... which they could if they acknowledged the RSD problem.

The new machine seems to be working well.

My old machine suffered from RSD, no sound out of the onboard speakers, and discoloured plastic.

macbook white 2ghz Mac OS X (10.4.7) 'a randomly shuting down piece of xxx'

RSD repair times?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.