Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't remove folders from TimeMachine Exclude List!

HI

I was so lookig forward to installing an SSD tonight. All I had to do was make sure TimeMachine has backed up everything. So I went to remove some folders from my exclude list in TimeMachine, but they wont remove! I select a folder, hit the minus sign, it disappears from the list, I click save, but when I choose options again, the folder is back in the list. I have tried many times, many folders. I have disabled timemachine and removed the disk, I have restarted my computer, and performed a disk repair. But the folders just wont remove.

So I am stumped!

For info, the exclusions are my Pictures folder of 148Gb which has Aperture files in there (I exlude them from TM because I have all my images backed up and the Aperture files are massive, but I dont have the Aperture files themselves backed up, so I need that to go on TM now), Dropbox, and other synced files, totalling approx. 35Gb (I dont technically need them, but it will save GBs of redownloading after I restore to the SSD) and Music of 58Gb (dont need that as its on iMatch but will save the redownload).

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 1:04 PM

7 replies

Jun 28, 2014 3:39 AM in response to amityweb

It sounds as if you've a corrupt backup of some sort - you may want to wade through some of the excellent material that Pondini left us -> http://www.pondini.org/OSX/Home.html and see if you can find any solutions there. If not, I would start with a new backup. I also wouldn't trust a single drive for a TM backup - I advise using at least two disks for Time Machine backups and a minimum of two cloned drives. Don't put all your eggs... well, you get it.

Good luck,

Clinton

Jul 11, 2014 5:03 AM in response to amityweb

This doesn't work unfortunately. I added a new USB drive for TimeMachine, and it uses the same options as already setup. So I remove both USBs, and then added only the newly formatted new USB for a new backup. The options are still there are wont remove.

Here is the weird bit... I followed instructions here to delete the plist file http://pondini.org/TM/A4.html. So I deleted com.apple.TimeMachine.plist, and when going into options they are now all gone. Initially I thought wonderful... but AS SOON as I add a new exclusion... ALL the other ones previously there are re-added in!!

So with no plist file to start again, a brand new USB drive for a new backup, the exclusions re-appear. I am now completely at loss what to do!

Feb 8, 2015 3:59 PM in response to amityweb

I am having the same problem on my son's Macbook Pro. There was a file causing the backup to hang. So I excluded all the directories and started a process of elimination. It was something in his ~/Music folder. I deleted some old iPhone backups, and went to remove the exclude. To my surprise the next backup skipped the ~/Music directory. When I reviewed the excludes the directory was back. I've tried deleting the preferences file for TimeMachine. I'll tried doing it from another admin level user. Nothing seems to work.

Can't remove folders from TimeMachine Exclude List!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.