Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is mevio? Suddenly need to log into mevio to get podcasts. ???

Subscribed to multiple old time radio podcasts for years. Suddenly, iTunes is telling me I have to sign in to something called "mevio" in order to access my podcasts.

What is this? What do I do?

Thanks,

George

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 3:02 PM

It means that the feed hosted at mevio has been removed - I know that some of the Old Time Radio ones were moved (to libsyn) recently, so that may be it. If you resubscribe via itunes or by grabbing the xml feed from the website, it may work. As a stopgap, if you unsubscribe from the podcast, it will at least stop the constant popups.

I'd help more clearly but unfortunately I'm having the same problem right now but I have absolutely no idea which podcast is making the request, and as far as I can tell there's no way to find out. Good old itunes.

97 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2014 3:02 PM in response to firechief2900

It means that the feed hosted at mevio has been removed - I know that some of the Old Time Radio ones were moved (to libsyn) recently, so that may be it. If you resubscribe via itunes or by grabbing the xml feed from the website, it may work. As a stopgap, if you unsubscribe from the podcast, it will at least stop the constant popups.

I'd help more clearly but unfortunately I'm having the same problem right now but I have absolutely no idea which podcast is making the request, and as far as I can tell there's no way to find out. Good old itunes.

Jun 10, 2014 3:33 AM in response to firechief2900

This same thing is happening to me. Pretty frustrating. I have been listening to podcasts since 2005--in fact, I used to have a podcast myself--and I have never had this kind of problem getting to my subsribed podcasts.

My favorite was the spinning ball of death when I tried to click "cancel" in that authentication window. I submitted a report to Apple when I forced iTunes to quit.

Pretty outrageous, in my opinion.

Jun 10, 2014 2:12 PM in response to firechief2900

I got this when trying to download my favorite podcast. Do not be fooled. Be warned: THIS IS MALWARE. They are trying to spoof your data. The malware is on your computer and the mevio.com website is a criminal enterprise. Do not click on 'Sign In'. In my case it invarably crashes iTunes even if I click CANCEL. Please, someone, help find a utility that will remove this evil virus!

Jun 10, 2014 2:26 PM in response to Ken Spiker

It certainly is behaving like malware. It is really invasive and crashes iTunes whenever I am even on the podcast page. I'm avoiding my podcasts altogether until a solution is found. Perhaps this calls for a wholesale uninstall/reinstall? Then you have to find the malware on your machine. I don't think I have ever had to that on my Mac, before.

I also thought the "closed" environment was supposed to prevent invasions into the software. This seems like it was specifically designed to program itself into iTunes. Scary.

I hope there is an Apple response, soon. I have a podcast, and I don't want people prevented from listening to it because of this.

Jun 10, 2014 2:35 PM in response to AJagow

When I go to the mevio.com website all I get is the same box wanting Name and Password. This is obviously a crude spoofing device. No legitimate website would demand an unspecified password to get to its homepage. They are hoping you input your master password or Apple ID so they can snag it, I suppose. Meanwhile from what I getting iTunes is hosed until they find a fix.

Jun 10, 2014 2:48 PM in response to Ken Spiker

I don't think so. I believe what happend is mevio was hosting a podcast feed and they moved off the mevio site, so when itunes app attempted to update the podcast it pointed to a dead feed link. So mevio threw up a "log in" request. (iTunes should have just returned an error, not passed along another party's error - poor programming on Apple's part for sure) I was able to solve this problem by deleting the offending podcast - althogh you have to figure out which one it is, it's probably an "old time radio" podcast as this was the case for me. See spiller.will note above. However unsubscribe isn't enough - you have to delete the offending podcast. I no longer see the mevio login note on podcast refresh. (if you look at the old episodes in the trash after you delete it you'll see mevio all over the place in the filenames.) Anyway, you might try this before you give up on Podcasts altogether. Good luck!

Jun 10, 2014 2:55 PM in response to firechief2900

I'm not sure about that - Mevio are definitely a real (if crappy) company that exists, they're run by Adam Curry (or were). Having said that the lack of a homepage is a little bizarre.

The other reason I don't think this is malware is that the dialogue box is the same one I get every few weeks when my login cookie for another podcast I subscribe to expires (from Giant Bomb, if that matters). The difference being, of course, that I have login details for that! The dialogue box for me seems to be appearing once an hour when itunes attempts to refresh its podcasts - I've been lucky in that I haven't had any problems with crashing yet.

Of course, it says something that it's possible to mistake itunes' normal functioning for malware...

Jun 10, 2014 3:16 PM in response to spiller.will

You could be right. What makes me suspicious is that it's asking for a password I don't have, one I never signed up for. If mevio is a real company they must have a 3 year old coding their website. Could it be that mevio has been hijacked? I emailed my podcaster and he says he hasn't changed anything. Obviously, this problem effects a wide range of podcasts and has disabled the podcast function of iTunes. I know what download brought up that sign-in box for me, but other people are stuck on other podcasts. I don't think there's any one podcast that's causing the problem, from just what I read in the forums it's ALL of them. I think we could do with a further explanation as to what this mevio has to do with our podcasts in the first place. Is there somewhere I can go to get that information?

what is mevio? Suddenly need to log into mevio to get podcasts. ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.