Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX doesn't accept P2 MXF files. How do I convert to ProRes?

I'm trying to import P2 files shot with a Panasonic 370 into Final Cut Pro X. I dumped the files to a portable had drive to clear the crds where I could continue shooting. When finish with the shoot I came back and connected it to the computer. I've done this many times with FPC7, this is the firest time with FCPX (which I can't stand by the way) but I'm having no luck. When I check the drive the files are listed as MFX files. When I try to import through the FCP menu it says the files are bitmap. When I try a direct drag and drop from the drive to the event, it won't accept the MXF files.

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 4:55 PM

2 replies

Jun 10, 2014 6:50 AM in response to Videorock1

The card contents have to keep the original folder/file hiearchy in tact. We use P2 without issue quit often. I create a folder on a drive, give it a name, then drag-and-drop the full P2 card's contents (select all), in to it. I'd not try drag-and-drop with P2. When you point FCPX to it, point to the top level folder.

Also, what really is nice, is the Camera Archive feature. My DP almost always simply uses this to create an Archive of his P2 and SD cards. Not really any issues.

I'm just curious, if you can't stand FCPX, why are you using it? Seems an odd statment, so I was just wondering what it was you weren't happy with.

FCPX doesn't accept P2 MXF files. How do I convert to ProRes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.