Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backup

I have a Mac Mini running Mavericks. I have a WD My Book for Mac 3tb connected to the Mac for storage and configured for Time Machine. I was thinking of getting a separate external drive just for Time Machine backups. I know that I can use almost any external drive as long as it is Mac formatted.

What is a good exteranl drive to use for Time Machine?

What is the minimum drive space for Time Machine?

I am using the Mac for iTunes, Apple device backups, and photos.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 6:22 PM

18 replies

Jun 10, 2014 9:42 AM in response to BDAqua

So you are telling me to avoid using 4tb drives more importantly 1.5 and 3tb. What size is left? 1 or 2tb. I am not really following what you are saying. Why do I not want a 3 or 4tb drive? If I am using the external drive for TM, I will want a drive with a lot of space. Right? Which drives are you speaking of to stay away from?

Anyone else what to offer there suggestions?

Jun 10, 2014 10:02 AM in response to pfisher112

It seems the most reliable drives are the 2 TB ones followed by the 1 TB drives, failure rates seem worst on the 3 TB ones, followed by the 1.5 TB ones, & then the 4 TB ones, but varies from manufacture to manufacture, & can really be all over the board...

http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

The new Helium filled drives are supposed to be fantastic, but too new to tell yet.

How big is the Drive you'll be backing up? Will you be backing up more than one drive?

Jun 11, 2014 7:51 AM in response to tbirdvet

Is it better to have TM frequently delete backups or keep backups longer? Perhaps, it depends on the user. Generally speaking, it is better to keep TM backups a month or longer or keep backups for a month and have TM delete backups longer than a month? On the Windows side, when you use System restore, I wish I could have the option to go back a full month. Going back to TM, can you change the frequency? Sometimes I don't want TM to perform a backup. Can the User control when TM backups or the frequency? I know you can turn OFF TM and I know I can skip a backup. Why can't Apple give the user more control over TM?

Jun 16, 2014 12:43 PM in response to pfisher112

pfisher112 wrote:

Going back to TM, can you change the frequency? Sometimes I don't want TM to perform a backup. Can the User control when TM backups or the frequency? I know you can turn OFF TM and I know I can skip a backup. Why can't Apple give the user more control over TM?

This free application 'TimeMachineEditor' gives you the control you're seeking.

Minimaly speaking TM requires a drive at least as large as your total installed system, anything larger then that will extend your backups back farther in time.

Jun 17, 2014 12:10 AM in response to BDAqua

I understand the problems with adware included with the installers from C|Net's download.com and Softonic, but I still find MacUpdate to be clean for the most part. Yes, they have a war going on with Koingo for no good reason and they have inadvertently posted one or two less than honest third party apps, but then so did Apple's AppStore. I would always advise downloading from the AppStore or developer's site first, but have not found MacUpdate to have totally crossed over yet, have you?

Time Machine Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.