Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

500GB Gdrive won't connect! Tried SMC restart..

I have a 500GB gdrive that previously had been connecting to my MacBook fine. Recently, it stopped being recognized by my computer. I tried doing an SMC restart several times. I can't seem to find it on desktop/finder and it used to be showed on my desktop as well as in my finder under devices. The light on the gdrive does turn on when it's plugged in to the USB drives on my computer so it is receiving power but I can't find it on my mac.

Any help is great!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 7:04 PM

2 replies

Jun 12, 2014 7:03 AM in response to watso355

Hi watso355,

For connection issues with an external hard drive, I would suggest starting your troubleshooting by resetting the parameter RAM. See this article for a description of how -

OS X Mavericks: Reset your computer’s PRAM

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14222

Note that the article says it is for Macs running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) but the procedure is the same for earlier versions.

If that does not resolve the issue, look in your System Profiler (go to the Apple menu > About this Mac > System Profiler and look under Hardware in either USB or FireWire depending on how the hard drive is attached. Does it appear here? You may have to use the disclosure triangles to expand the connections. See this article -

OS X: Identifying USB ports on your Mac

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6053

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Jun 12, 2014 5:12 PM in response to Brett L

Unfortunately to no avail. I did the PRAM reset twice and then opened my system information. It doesn't appear to be registering the device at all.

Under USB I can see:

USB Bus

USB Bus > BRCM2046 > Bluetooth USB host controller

> IR Receiver

> Apple international keyboard/trackpad

USB Hi-Speed Bus > Built in iSight

USB Hi-Speed Bus > internal memory card reader

And under FireWire it lists only Maximum speed: up to 800 mb/sec.

Unfortunately the two options you suggested seemed not to work.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for your help,

Kyle

watso355

500GB Gdrive won't connect! Tried SMC restart..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.