Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Timing of text, etc

Okay, have been teaching myself Motion and am wondering why I'm regularly running into timing issues.

Example 1: Text

I have created a number of text layers in my project and set the timing of some bullet points separately as I used separate layers for them. I had them set to appear 2 seconds apart and to disappear at the same time. This all worked fine until I decided to change the time later on. I did this, but now for some reason Bullet Point 2 appears first, followed by bullet points 1 & 2 at the same time and bullet point 4 last. Why is this happening? I have checked the timing properties of all of them, as well as of the groups they're in. I've even changed the order of the layers, but this made no difference. Everything looks okay...but something's amiss?

Example 2: Timing in general

Sometimes when I try to change the timing of a layer in the Properties it won't allow me to change it (but why?). I can then change it manually by dragging the slider in the Mini Timeline, but I can't get the slider to go exactly to the individual frame I want. (Is there way to do this?) But usually once I've manually changed it in the slider, I can then go back to the timing properties to change it exactly. Why is this happening? I can't seem to work out the pattern here?

Thanks for any help!

Kindest regards,

Joe.

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 8:43 PM

4 replies

Jun 10, 2014 8:57 PM in response to schmackhaft

Hi, thanks for your help. Not actually sure how I would do this, as there is a LOT of stuff in the timeline and it wouldn't all fit on the one screenshot.

I sorted out my text layers by creating new ones and deleting the old (not ideal, but got me out of a jam). But my questions re example 2 seem to apply regardless of what project I'm in, so I could just start a new project with hardly anything in it and take a screenshot of that timeline. I guess my real question is can you "nudge" the mini timeline to the exact frame you want?

*scratching my head*

Jun 11, 2014 8:31 AM in response to Joe Felice

The beauty of the Timeline is that you can see the relationships between multiple objects whereas the mini timeline is contextual and only shows what is selected.

In this simple example you can see why a text object may not be visible in the canvas even though it shows up at the proper frame and duration in the mini timeline.

Notice that the Group it resides in doesn't extend long enough to contain the "missing" text object. This is an easy situation to find yourself in and it is easy to spot in the Timeline.

User uploaded file

Re: your second question, I find it easiest to select the object either in the canvas, layers list or timeline, go to the exact frame you want it to begin and hit " i ". This sets the inpoint of the object at that frame. You can then either do the same for the outpoint by going to your end frame and hitting " o ", or using the inspector and typing in the duration.

You can also drag the end point in the mini timeline or timeline where you'll be shown durration as you drag it in a little tool tip.

User uploaded file

Just remember, if you've manipulated the Group like it was in the first picture, you won't see the object in the Canvas until you fix it.

Timing of text, etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.