Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked iPhoto Library unable to open

Hi

I am receiving a message that says my Iphoto library is locked, on a locked drive, or i dont have permissions to alter

A repair box comes up, presumably to repair the permissions, this doesn't do anything and the programme closes

has anyone got any solutions for me to try

I have only had an Apple Macbook Air for a couple of months and am not completely savvy (understatement)

with its functionality yet.

cheers

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 10, 2014 5:24 AM

4 replies

Jun 10, 2014 10:29 AM in response to FreezeTech

This issue can be caused by sharing the photo library on a network (against Apple's advice) or by opening it in more than one local user account at the same time. You may be able to clear the error by logging out or restarting the computer. If not, do as follows.

Quit iPhoto if it's running, locally or on any file-sharing client. Select the iPhoto Library in the Finder. Usually it's in the Pictures folder, but you may have moved it somewhere else. Right-click or control-click the library icon and select

Show Package Contents

from the popup menu. In the folder that opens, navigate to

Database/apdb/lockfile.pid

and move that file, if it exists, to the Trash. Close the Finder window.

Credit for this observation to ASC member Elijahg.

Locked iPhoto Library unable to open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.