Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending a private message

How can I send a private message to someone on this forum - a message to him/her not shown on the forum - like on other bulletin boards, usually via the webmaster?

G5/2.0 GHz, Mac OS X (10.3.9), 1 GB RAM, 150 GB HD, Sony DCR-HC96 mini DV, FCE HD 3.0

Posted on Sep 11, 2006 2:55 AM

9 replies

Sep 11, 2006 2:23 PM in response to Jake Russell

If being honest is rude then I am guilty.

But honestly I can't find another reason why someone would not post their Email address other than them
1.) Not wanting to be Emailed - by you or otherwise (spam)
or
2.) not having an Email address.

I find the second reason hard to believe so I'm sticking w/ the first assumption.

Either way I am having trouble understanding what all this has to do with DVDSP...

Sep 11, 2006 2:32 PM in response to theshow

Well I cant speak for everyone but I have been around here for years as jake and even longer with my old handle. I don't have my email public but anytime someone has asked me to contact them off of the discussions I have and I have no problems doing so.

I actually don't mind OT things a lot of the time cause they are usually DVD related or something of use. On this occasion I don't think it really matters that its not someone having a dvdsp issue. If the poster wants to get hold of someone on the dvdsp discussions I don't think it really needs to be policed too hard. People that don't like it could maybe just bite their tongue and not reply cause it's hardly an epidemic...

-Jake

Sep 11, 2006 2:43 PM in response to Jake Russell

I'm not freaking out about it or anything - just mentioning.

You UK guys stick together don't you? That's good.

And it's also great that you don't mind OT things - In light of that I say we should petition to reformat the discussion board so there's only one topic that we can all discuss then and we'll call it the rotten apple discussion board! It'll be a huge hit I'm sure.

I bit my tounge for a second but can't resist to mention that I think your last comment seems hypocritical. I mean, it seems like you didn't like what I said but you still had to say something didn't you? Welcome to the discussions! Err... I mean... Welcome to my world!

Cheers!

Sep 11, 2006 2:43 PM in response to Jake Russell

Hold on folks! Some of you are getting into an unecessary tizz over this. The guy had announced, purely in passing, on this forum that he was thinking of selling something. As he had not posted before I thought that he would not lurk, so I wanted to contact him. Many other bulletin boards have a system where posters do not publish their email addresses (I certainly would not) but are prepared to set their preferences up to receive a private message via the webmaster. In that way they can be contacted without divulging their email address.

As I have discovered, this forum does not have such an arrangement. That's fine by me. I had no intention of using this forum as a chat room. As Jake says, there is no epidemic on the horizon. Whew!

Oct 1, 2006 9:20 PM in response to theshow

I have to agree with Steve here.

I've never run across a tech forum where one could not send PMs to other members.

Sometimes one gets to working on a specific problem one has and it simplifies things, and helps not to encumber the board with long threads/posts that are, perhaps, not a problem that affects a lot of people.

It's not about email. I have my email hidden (least I hope so!). I give out my cable modem box's address only very selectively.

It's also nice to send a thank to someone who solved your.

I don't see why courtesy should be excluded from any Forum--whether the forum's raison d'etre is technical or social. The vast majority of fora are a mixture of the two. Or, imo, they should be.

This forum, in particular, has somewhat well-deserved rep for non-responsiveness to iPod newbie questions. The first thread I put up didn't receive an answer for months. I haven't checked it again, but I'd be surprised if an answer was ever posted. A helpful answer that is.

I've made some good 'Net friends thru the fora.

So, let's take the ties off, make friends, solve our problems and teach each other the little tricks that programmers love to sneak into software (for you corporate types, and those of you in Rio Linda, that's kind of like "networking" but without the ulterior motive).

I'm no newbie, but I'm no programmer or engineer either. I know my limits.

Computer users, esp those who use Windows, often have strange issues unlike the divine Mac. (I don't have a problem with Macs. If I had the cash, I'd have a Mac laptop or desktop, or both if I really had the money.

I was using Macs before a lot of people with iPods were even born, starting with a hard drive less MacPlus--nine in B/W screen with MacWrite for the H.S. newspaper--in 1986, but I HATE those commericals!)

OK! Enough of this! I'm off to buy an 80GB Video iPod.
<

Taceo et video (Well, it's a good goal.)

Vaio RS420 Windows XP

Sending a private message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.