Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV HDMI signal

Hope someone can help me out here...

I have a Denon AV system, with Blu Ray, Sky HD, (old) Wii and an Aplle TV3 connected: The WiFi is by cable to all devices and AV by HDMI cables with an additional optical Audio lead from the the Apple TV.

Everything is happy except for the Apple TV.

It seems to ba in issue with the signal being sent from the Apple TV. When I set the receiver to the Apple TV HDMI input and turn on the Apple TV, the display on the Receiver shows an analogue signal and not surprisingly I get no signal showing on the TV. After three or four minutes the Receiver suddenly reconises a digital signal and the Apple TV output is clearly visable.

I have a suspicion this may be something to do with the HDMI protocols and Apple doing something different from everyone else. Does anyone have any ideas how to get around this delay?

Many thanks.

David.

Posted on Jun 10, 2014 9:42 AM

5 replies

Jun 10, 2014 11:05 AM in response to David Gee1

I wish I had an explanation for you David. The only HDMI troubleshooting technique available to users without specialized test equipment is to substitute one component for another, since HDMI either works, or not.

There isn't anything special about the AppleTV's HDMI implementation that I am aware of, and it sounds as though you already tried other inputs on the Denon.

The only relevant Apple Support document only mentions obvious problems that probably aren't worth your time to read: Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting video issues

All I can suggest is to have Apple evaluate it. Make an appointment:

Genius Bar Reservations

You could also try searching for this problem on the AVS forum. Try to ignore the knuckle-dragging Apple haters.

It wouldn't be the first time I heard of a complaint regarding Denon. Unfortunately the perfect AVR does not exist, and Denon's are better than most.

I wish Apple would make one 😟

Jun 10, 2014 2:10 PM in response to David Gee1

You know it! The market is screaming for an Apple AVR. Nothing but digital inputs, configure everything using an app. Jony Ive could design it in an afternoon. Put the Beats hardware team on it.

Unfortunately it's a very small market. But it's a fragmented one, and everyone's offerings suçk in too many ways to count.

Good AVRs command a premium which would fit right into Apple's business model... anyway, enough dreaming.

Apple TV HDMI signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.