Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have two cameras of the same model and want to separate out the photos taken on each one. Is this possible?

I have a Canon and my husband has a Canon, and they are the same model (mistake!)

I imported his photos into my library (I'm the keeper of the photos), and now I want to seperate out his photos from mine.

To make matters worse, the dates are the same (since we travel together) and the file numbers overlap (because the world is out to get us).

They are thoroughly intermingled, but I'm hoping there is a super geeky way to seperate them.

Ideas?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 10, 2014 11:41 AM

11 replies

Jun 10, 2014 12:22 PM in response to kyzla

Try to separate the photos by "import session".

Assuming you can recognize some of the photos you took - perhaps there are some photos showing your husband and some photos showing you - these photos will tell you the import session. All photos you import into the library will be assigned an import session metadata tag, so his photos should have all the same import session tag.

To show this thag, set the Info panel in the Inspector to "Edit" and add it to your current Metadata view.

User uploaded file

Once you found the Import Session for your husband's photos, create a smart album based on this meta data tag.

User uploaded file

When I import my husband's photos in my library, I use a metadata preset on import, that will assign automatically a keyword, set his copyright, and adds a color code. So I can see at a glance, which photos are my photos and which are his.

Jun 10, 2014 12:51 PM in response to kyzla

The cameras we have don't have changeable lenses. They are literally the exact same camera.

I'm hoping to not have to pick out the photos, as it's hard to know what's what... Though a SmartAlbum with the filename/numbers might help.

He's only got 80 to my 365... Hmmm.

Any other thoughts are welcome. Though I don't think I'll be getting Aperture anytime soon.

Thanks!

Jun 10, 2014 1:06 PM in response to kyzla

...So, anything above 80 is done.

I am thinking that you would do it in stages. The first 10 or so might be impossible, but hopefully after that you can look for images 11-25 taken on Tuesday to get his, and 11-50 taken Monday to get yours...

You might also punt, export the original images to a folder and use something like ExifTool that can see the serial number. (Canon's DPP might help here, too.) Change the file name and then re-import the images after deleting the first batch from iPhoto

But first just fool around with the Smart Album controls, something might jump out at you.

ETA:

Do you tend to use the same focal lengths? That is another way to sort. I just found an image because I knew I had shot it with my 60mm macro.

I have two cameras of the same model and want to separate out the photos taken on each one. Is this possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.