Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mevio password pop-up

I'm getting a pop-up today in Itunes asking for User Name and Password to access a podcast at www.mevio.com.

I haven't seen this before and I don't have an account on that site. Suggestions?

Posted on Jun 10, 2014 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2014 4:26 PM

Looks as if mevio.com has shut down. Any feed you picked up through that site will be invalid. You'll need to track down the website of the podcast's producer to locate an alternative feed.

http://podcasternews.com/2014/04/10/mevio-pulls-the-plug/

tt2

32 replies

Jun 14, 2014 2:06 AM in response to moosep57

I was getting repeated requests to login to mevio.com when I opened iTunes. I went through my podcasts and unsubscribed from those that had not updated that day. I also deleted them. It appears they were all podcasts that mevio had taken over and the podcasters had changed to other providers. That stopped the requests to login to mevio.com. YMMV

Jun 16, 2014 6:04 AM in response to moosep57

Had huge problems bacause of Mevio. For my 2c worth it is causing so many user problems freezing iTunes that this MUST be SORTED BY ITUNES!!!!!!

Mevio was a host site that has suddenly ceased operation. Anything using this host will be "dead" until new hosts are found. Unfortunately itunes will have the old link and because Mevio has been erased, we are now left high and dry and this is what is causing itunes to freeeze. As I said this must be sorted by itunes as Mevio had over 36 million users. How many of them are tearing their hair out and wasting countelss hours, for many fruitlessley.

However here is my eventual solution in a Windows 8 environment (there would be a similar solution in Mac environ, but I dont know that system). Sorry it is long winded, but it worked for me.

1. In iTunes Podcasts click on the little cog symbol of any podcast. At the bottom click the Default Tab and turn of Download Episodes. This will cease all podcst down load activity when you hit the refresh button. Now you have time to act before the "freeze" happens.

2. in Itune Podcasts on the left menu bar, which should display your subscribed podcast list. Right click on each podcast title. A menu should appear and in bottom thirn you will see "copy podcast URL". Click on this to copy the URL or feed address of that podcast.

3. Paste this into any text editor, or word processor (MSWORD or event NOTEPAD). You can now see the feed address. If it has anything with "mevio" that will be your culprit/s. Do this for all your feeds/podcasts before next step.

4. Try unsubscribing from offending podcast/s, but like me it will probably FREEZE because iTunes will want to contact Mevio to unsubsubscribe. Instead I Right clicked on the podcast tiele and selected DELETE from the menu and placed that podcast in the recycle bin for later trashing.

5. Once all problem podcasts have been deleted, go back to the little cog symbol for any podcast, click on default and turn on "Download Episodes.

Now I can refresh podcasts without the dreaded freeze.

Hope you can follow this.... Im a swimming teacher, not a techie.

Jun 24, 2014 4:20 PM in response to moosep57

Hi - maybe you can help.

I [as far as I know] have NEVER used or signed into mevio, and I have had iTunes for over 5 years, but a few weeks ago the popup started telling me "to see it, sign in -- and "your Password will be sent in the clear".

I have asked Apple about it - they acted like they never heard of it -- Today I find this discussion thread, making it seem like mevio was a part of iTunes.

Apple even asked for a picture of the popup, like they had never seen it -- now they say "sign in and delete mevio podcasts" --

and I have NO podcasts purchased, wish list, or any other mode...

cut to the chase -- any idea how to get the popup to stop WithOut sending my password "in the clear" [no HTTPS]?

Thanks,

C

Jun 24, 2014 4:44 PM in response to STWriter

First, do not enter any user name or passwords on that pop-up. It is there to allow the site owner access.

Try starting iTunes in safe mode by holding down CTRL+SHIFT as you launch it.

My assumption is that you must have at least one podcast subscription or you simply would not see that message.

Further that podcast must have been hosted at mevio.com or an affiliate. There is no reason why you would have known it was hosted there.

When you go to the Podcasts section of your library what do you see? Any podcast that has an warning against it because it cannot download new episodes might be a place to start looking.

tt2

Jun 25, 2014 12:37 AM in response to moosep57

Only thing that worked for me after days of being harassed by mevio:

-highlight all podcasts

-right click, find "Consolidate files.." in the drop down menu (this will copy all podcasts to your media folder)

-delete all podcasts from iTunes (better safe than plagued)

-in settings under parental controls, BLOCK podcasts/lock preferences sio they cannot be changed (dont know if this step is necessary.)

..and guess we all just wait until apple comes up with a patch or something to fix this mevio maaadnesss

find alternate sources for downloading ur fave podcasts- itunes is just a directory, as someone already said.

🙂

Jun 25, 2014 6:42 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the responses 'turingtest2' and trickillusion' -- but as I have told APPLE, I don't believe I have ever made a podcast, nor signed onto mevio -- maybe some affiliate, though I don't recall trying to download anything -- and certainly not using my APPLE LOGIN [nor w/o https].

I HAVE downloaded some podcasts through iTunes -- some "web radio programs" like TREK and Dr.Who audio programs. But I HAVE them already - nothing pending that I know of... but I did them through iTunes ... I may have to ask Apple Support which offerings they had that used mevio so I can narrow down if somehow I "caused" this.

As for what APPLE shows when I log in to iTunes - I have checked music, TV, radio, 'wish list', etc -- every tab they have, and it has always said "You Have Nothing to Download".

On the "My Account" page, I just noticed that at the top it says "there is one download" [why nothing on the OTHER pages/tab??] -- I clicked it yesterday, and it is some TV episode from 2010 that I didn't even like ["The Event"] -- it may be some free show and I wanted to see how it started - I want to CANCEL the download, but that option doesn' t appear anywhere [[as I said - all the TABS say "nothing on your lists"]]

And for "right click, find "Consolidate files.." -- as there are none -- well I am going to go try that. Maybe, somehow, it will do a search and find this thing.

BTW - my last email to Apple Support, I told them that if THEY won't disconnect 'mevio.com' from iTunes, and they force me to go to that site [with an open password on http], and I get hacked, I plan to file a lawsuit. MAYBE that will make they "break the link". [OK - a stretch, to be sure]

Thanks for the help.

Jun 28, 2014 9:00 AM in response to turingtest2

Steve,

I too have seen the Mevio pop-up (several times), in both my iTunes libraries and in my case too, the pop-ups have only been appearing since I updated my iTunes, this week. I put off updating iTunes until now (until I fully understood why people were reporting that all Podcasts had been deleted "by the update"), but if I'm not mistaken, I have been noticing posts on the subject since the update, despite the fact the Mevio closed down in April.

turingtest2 wrote:

The mevio.com pop-up is a direct result of the site shutting down and having a podcast subscription that ran through the service, not any particular iTunes update.

I'm sure you're right on the first point, but since one of my two iTunes Libraries has no current subscriptions, and has not had for some considerable time, one wonders why I see the Mevio pop-up in that particular library.

My conclusion is that a change in iTunes 11.2 is now causing iTunes to check every Podcast feed, including ones I that I used to be subscribed to, but am not subscribed to any longer. However, if any Podcast to which I stopped the subscription has changed to another host since then, but iTunes checks with the last feed known to my iTunes, this might explain why so many pop-ups are appearing now. There is no indication which Podcast(s) (are) is triggering the pop-up.

I'm hoping that iTunes is simply working its way through my old Podcast subscriptions and that it will eventually run out of Podcasts to check, because currently, iTunes hangs while the check is being performed.

Phil

By the way, iTunes did not delete all Podcasts during (or as a consequence of) the update, despite the numerous posts on the subject. After the update, the first access to the Podcasts Library was met with a welcome greeting in place of the expected Podcasts list. The nature of the greeting did make it look as though everything had been deleted. But once the continue button was clicked, the stored Podcasts appeared in a list, as usual.

Jun 28, 2014 11:09 AM in response to moosep57

After about 3 weeks now this is their final response --

"...

we still cannot verify the prompt that you are being prompted since you have stated that you did not subscribed to that podcast but still being prompted by it.

For this case, you need to contact our Apple Care Tech Support for further assistance, they have the right tool to further check why you are being prompted about that podcast.

<Edited by Host>

Jun 28, 2014 12:42 PM in response to the fiend

Interesting. Unfortunately I haven't been lucky enough to have any suitable subscriptions so I haven't had the problem to investigate. Have you tried producing a report on your podcast subscriptions by right-clicking on Podcasts in the sidebar and then clicking Export...? You should be able to open the resulting .opml file in a text editor and get something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<opml version="1.0">

<head>

<title>iTunes Subscribed Feeds</title>

<dateCreated>Date & Time</dateCreated>

<dateModified>Date & Time</dateModified>

</head>

<body>

<outline text="Podcast Title" type="rss" xmlUrl="Feed URL" [optional] htmlUrl="Website" />

[more entries]

</body>

</opml>

Just playing with an empty library now and it seems that in certain circumstances iTunes can be made to access the podcast feed of an unsubscribed podcast. Perhaps there has been an internal change to iTunes so that previously dormant episodes to a series that you had unsubscribed from are now causing iTunes to check up on the feed URL, and trigger a pop-up if the URL is password protected.

tt2

mevio password pop-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.