Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I get a start up disk for 2008 MacPro?

I believe I have overloaded the boot disk in attempting to add a program. When the MacPro restarted it would not activate the screen again. I read about possible troubleshooting, tried the restart options, but still no screen activity. I checked connections. Since I could not locate the disks that came with it, I'm wondering if a bootable disk is available for a 2008 MarPro? Thanks for help / recommendations. I know it's getting quite old, but would like to recover it's uses if possible.

Mac Pro

Posted on Jun 10, 2014 3:47 PM

4 replies

Jun 10, 2014 3:52 PM in response to Lrkent54

The Snow leopard DVD available in the Apple Online Store will boot that particular Mac Pro (US$20 plus tax). It contains 10.6.3, which can then be updated using Software Update to 10.6.8.

Then the mac App Store becomes available, and any later versions of Apps and Systems you have purchased will show up on the Purchases pane for your Apple-ID.

Jun 11, 2014 12:12 PM in response to Lrkent54

You can if you are using Lion or later create your own installer. And if you have a system - clone it!! while it is working and keep a copy off line, also keep a small clone or clean install for maintenance of the system, all you need is about 20GB for that - put a partition on your TimeMachine drive for instance.

2008's came with 10.5.x but you don't need the OEM DVD, unless you want Apple Hardware Test.

You need 10.6.8 to access the AppStore and get Lion or later.

can I get a start up disk for 2008 MacPro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.