Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

idvd does not sync when burning to dvd

I am using a MacBook Pro with OSX, FCP 7 and iDVD 7 or 8 (it's burning now, so can't confirm). I have a 64 minute video (that includes motions, etc in iDVD. I exported the FCP to QT movie using the default settings. Everything remains in sync in FCP and iDVD. When I burn to a disc, it goes out of sync about half way through the movie. I have searched for solutions in the support community but things I have tried do not work.

I have one more question, but I may have to go to FCP community. I export to QT with default settings. Is there another way to export that does not compress so much?

Thank you for your help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jun 10, 2014 7:16 PM

18 replies

Jun 11, 2014 5:31 AM in response to Rebecca Finegan

Hi

As said - What is Your Camera set to record ?

I only use:

• Camera - 16-bit .aiff 48kHz audio

• other Audio - 16-bit .aiff 44.1kHz (as on Audio CDs)

12-bit .aiff (as if Camera is set to LP-recording or 32kHz), .mp3, .wma or directly from iTunes (or other ailient formats) - most often gives me Headache.

So I convert all to one of above mentioned formats

Yes it looks OK and sounds OK in iMovie, FinalCut etc. But when burned to DVD = disaster

I ALSO DO: Save as a DiskImage (in iDVD) and test play this. If this works - so will a DVD burned with Disk Util tool also do. Very good Quality Control.

Everything remains in sync in FCP and iDVD.

YES - But what kind of Project did You set up when starting FinalCut Pro ? - IMPORTANT !

Yours Bengt W

Jun 11, 2014 11:07 PM in response to Rebecca Finegan

I did notice the "sequence" indicated 32 bit and all the clips, wav music, etc. are 16 bit. Is that normal?

May be but I would.

• Convert all material to formats that FinalCut has easy to use and that match the Final product (Movie)

• especially the Audio file .wma, wav etc and 32-bit - is no good start

- convert them to .aiff 16-bit 44.1kHz or 48kHz

• Set up a NEW Project - BUT FIRST select - right kind of project depending on material - AND FINAL MOVIE PROPERTIES.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

THEN FIRST - Start a NEW PROJECT - Else it will not work.

Yours Bengt W

Jun 13, 2014 3:50 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

I have tried everything you suggested and it is still burning out of sync to DVD from iDVD. I'm now trying to burn an additional 20 minutes at the end of my fcp movie to see if that works - since I saw it posted as a work around. Any other thoughts? It works perfectly in my fcp and idvd clips, it's just burning to dvd or disc image. It falls out of sync about half way through my dvd.

Jun 13, 2014 4:37 AM in response to Rebecca Finegan

I'm running out of Great idea

I would

• Easy Set-up - a project with size and Audio set as You need it

• Start a New Sequence

• Control all media items - so that they meet my demands - all other converted to this

• Start by pulling (copying) one piece at a time from the old project to the new

• Test this Export --> iDVD --> Save as a DiskImage --> Test Play this == OK ? or not

• Repeat - till culprit is found and converted to proper settings (or discarded)

TEDIOUS - Yes - How I whish for a Magic Wand 😉

BTW - iDVD is stupid - it tries to use material it can not handle - AND it doesn't warn for it either !

I use QuickTime (7) Pro to find out Video-Codecs, Audio and Photo file formats - as it can open so much more than iDVD (and iMovie too).

Yours Bengt W

Jun 13, 2014 10:30 AM in response to Rebecca Finegan

Yes (but I guess No)

Yes: I also use

• Roxio Toast 11 bundle (incl BD-component)

No:

If there is a non-working part in the movie (un-compatible Video-Codec, Audio or Photo file) - then the risk is High that Toast not are able to create any usably DVD or Image file.

I would trace the faulthy component.

I assume that You've done the basic trouble management - if not start by doing this

• Trash iMovie pref file (Re-install iMovie do not help)

• Trash iDVD pref file

• Repair Permissions

AND - to get all pref files, cash files anew - Create a new User account - Log into this aand re-try.

If it now works OK then the problem is a faulthy pref or cash file (they are easy created by Panic/Foreced Quits)

Yours Bengt W

Jun 14, 2014 12:32 PM in response to Rebecca Finegan

Yes - if material is moved out of reach for iMovie - that can be one problem.

I do:

Video imported into Event's in iMovie - eventually from within iMovie located out to external hard disk.

( MUST BE DONE -within iMovie application - else connection is broken )

Audio & Photos - I collect into a Named and Deicated folder e.g. Movie project name + DATE - NOT to be moved around.

By doing like this - iMovie can keep track on material needed - and no Yellow triangles.

There are no copy of extra Audio and Photos in the movie project - only references to where it/they are to be found.

BTW - there is no movie in the Movie Project either - but only a small text document with info on material needed and How You want it to be played.

First aftter You Shared or Finiched the Project a true Movie file is created = NON-Destructive Video editing technice. They all work like this.

Yours Bengt W

idvd does not sync when burning to dvd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.