Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erased and copied Snow Leopard OS disk to Disk Utility partition

Hi,

I am no way a technical person and think i have ruined my ok working MBP. After alot of research, to save money I decided to do a clean reinstall of Snow Leopard (previously running Mavericks OS) and erase my old data and settings on the MBP, as it was running super slow and I wanted to go back to the old OSX. I have a 2009 MBP previously running Mavericks installed from Dec 2013. When I went into the disk utility screen after deleting everything and resetting information, I couldn't restore the Mavericks OS as I downloaded it from iTunes for free - said to get from a saved folder or something. So I clicked around and accidently copied/duplicated the old Snow Leopard installation disk that was inserted and restored it as the Hard Drive/Disk utility (see pic attached).

Not sure how to save this computer? Is there a way to reset it back to factory settings before I incorrectly clicked the wrong button and ruined it?

Any info would be helpful.

Cheers

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 11, 2014 1:00 AM

13 replies

Jun 11, 2014 4:44 AM in response to andyBall_uk

I would like to do a Clean reinstall of snow leopard, too but I didn't have the disks so I got some replacemnet from APPLE, and they give me the white MAC OS X Snow Leopard installion DVD (replacemnet DVD) and when I use it the MBP beeps 3 times every few secs. then I have to do a fouce turn off (press & hold power button), I think they might of send me the wrong disks/DVDs.

can anyone help fix this or do I need to get hold of apple again.

My MBP 15" (FEB, 2011)!

thanks!

Jun 11, 2014 9:16 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Well, when they called me as how I had setup I forgot I had appointment to be at at the sametime but when I submit the call back info it had me put in the S/N in box which I did and told the guy on about, I should of know when he mentioned the retail, but I don't know if they had the info on their end when we talk so I'll see what they can do gor me I just hope I don't have to take it to an apple store as the closest one is about 10 or more (like 20+ miles) miles away from me.

Jun 13, 2014 3:00 AM in response to Cutey1

I see, there may be a problem with the disk, but if you can show anothers screen photo, it might reveal something.

When you start, press the Option (alt) key & be certain that it's the DVD, rather than the 'DVD' copy on your HD that is selected. If in doubt which is which, try again with the DVD ejected to be sure. Your earlier screenshot is started from the copy on the HD, for example.

Jun 30, 2014 4:50 AM in response to andyBall_uk

Hi AndyBall_uk,

Here are photos of all the images that I think will help. The DVD copy is the one that I pop in computer. I haven't tried the other disk which was also a DVD, this one is called the applications disk.

With the restore screen on the HardDrive image, this is where I accidentally clicked a few buttons and copied the OSX install disk over the previous Mac hard drive.

Thank you for your assistance, it is much appreciated.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Jul 31, 2014 10:26 PM in response to andyBall_uk

Hi AndyBall_UK,

So I tried holding down the option key during start up and it just went to the select language option and I hit enter and the button and it didn't go to the next screen (approx 3-4 mins of no action). Then I shut down and also pressed the C key upon start up and it just made a noise like it was turning the disk 90 degrees one side then back to the other side (like it was thinking) this went on for over 5 mins. I think I may have done something similar holding down the control and O or C option ages ago and since then I have noticed the disk has scratches all over it, kind of flowing ones and not circular - do you think this may have something to do with it and that the computer is unable to read the disk? Even though it still goes to the initial screen and reads the disk when in the Disk Utility mode?

UPDATE: so I shut it down again and started it up and it went to the automatic install process, however it still only comes up with the bootcamp disk as the only option to install the disk. I feel like I have potentially lost or deleted the original MBP hard drive and think that I may have completely ruined an ok working computer. I knew I should have just left it after I erased it, and not touched it again.

I forgot to mention that it usually takes over 2 mins for the actual computer to startup as I have to press and hold the power button for 5-6 secs. I rang Apple about this and they said this was normal and nothing to worry about.

Cheers

Erased and copied Snow Leopard OS disk to Disk Utility partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.