Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Console: continuously getting "decmpfs.c:250:_decmp_get_func: tried to access a compressed file of unregistered type 7" from kernel

Every second appears hundreds of error like this in the Console:

"decmpfs.c:250:_decmp_get_func: tried to access a compressed file of unregistered type 7"

I tried to Google this error but I found anything.

I noticed that when I eject my external drive (with Time Machine), the errors don't appear.

Anybody could help? Is it something serious?

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 11, 2014 6:21 AM

2 replies

Jun 22, 2014 12:47 PM in response to stefano.t

I had the same issue. I initially noticed it when I saw that mdworker was continuously spiking in CPU usage, then going back down. I used "sudo fs_usage -w -f file sys mdworker" to figure out that mdworker was indexing the second partition on my Mac. This partition contains another installation on OS X. Turning off indexing on that partition solved the problem. Upon booting into the other installation, I found the root of the problem. I had turned FireVault on, but I didn't allow enough time for it to finish encrypting. I allowed it to complete the process, then booted into my main partition. I reenabled indexing for the second partition, allowed about 10 minutes for the indexing to complete, and now the problem is gone.

In short, if you have a second partition with another installation of OS X with FireVault enabled, be sure that it actually finishes encrypting.

I realized that since this is happening with an external drive so we probably don't have the exact same issue, but see if it stops if you disable indexing on the time machine drive.

Oct 17, 2014 10:48 AM in response to thevitalpoint

I had this issue after I updated an external clone backup of my internal hd to Yosemite and booting from it (for testing purposes) and then booting from my internal HD running Mountain Lion again (neither drive has FileVault enabled). Adding the external drive to the Privacy tab in Spotlight prefs fixed the problem (thanks).

Console: continuously getting "decmpfs.c:250:_decmp_get_func: tried to access a compressed file of unregistered type 7" from kernel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.