Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't find my Backups folder on Macbook pro

Hey guys I don't think I need my back ups on my Macbook pro if I have back ups on a external hard drive but I have 167GBs of back ups on my macbook pro. Can I delete it and if so how thanks 😀

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jun 11, 2014 8:36 AM

7 replies

Jun 11, 2014 8:56 AM in response to THEWORLDCHANGER

These may be local snapshots from your Time Machine backup.

You can turn them off:

Open the Terminal (Applications/Utilities)

Copy the line below and paste it into Terminal:

sudo tmutil disablelocal

Press RETURN and enter your admin password when prompted

Note: Turning them OFF will also delete all existing snapshots.

To turn them back on:

Open the Terminal (Applications/Utilities)

Copy the line below and paste it into Terminal:

sudo tmutil enablelocal

Press RETURN and enter your admin password when prompted

Jun 11, 2014 9:03 AM in response to THEWORLDCHANGER

THEWORLDCHANGER,

I'm certain that what you're seeing are, as Axeman1020 says, local snapshots. I DO NOT advise turning them off. One week after you hook up your machine to your Time Machine drives, the local snapshots will vanish, only to be replaced by more until you backup again. This is a safety feature of Time Machine on portable machines and you should not turn them off or delete them. Just let TM do its thing and you'll have good backups.

I also recommend connecting to your TM drives at least once a week. This will keep the snapshot space down and, again, allow a good backup strategy.

Best of luck,

Clinton

Jun 11, 2014 9:39 AM in response to THEWORLDCHANGER

When Time Machine backs up a portable Mac, some of the free space will be used to make local snapshots, which are backup copies of recently deleted files. The space occupied by local snapshots is reported as available by the Finder, and should be considered as such. In the Storage display of System Information, local snapshots are shown as Backups. The snapshots are automatically deleted when they expire or when free space falls below a certain level. You ordinarily don't need to, and should not, delete local snapshots yourself. If you followed bad advice to disable local snapshots by running a shell command, you may have ended up with a lot of data in the Other category. Ask for instructions in that case.

Can't find my Backups folder on Macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.