Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maverick 10.9.3 update made me lost 5GB of free space instantly

Just updated maverick to 10.9.3 … and lost 5GB instantly. I got a backup to prove it.

And furthermore, my SSD partition, without OS and data, should have 15GB more available (I checked with GrandPerspective software : 95GB of capacity, 65GB used ...). Any thoughts about it ? Is the time of uncleaned OSX Leopard back ?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), SSD powered

Posted on Jun 11, 2014 3:57 PM

8 replies

Jun 11, 2014 4:21 PM in response to PierreEdouardB

Time Machine needs to be running all the time. You can't plan for problems. It's not always an update that causes an issue.

I suggest you check out a clone for backup. This would give you the easiest way to revert to the previous version after a failed update.

Both of these applications can be used to create a clone.

SuperDuper! http://www.shirt-pocket.com/

CCC http://www.bombich.com/download.html

SuperDuper includes a sandbox feature that makes it very easy to revert to the previous version.

Jun 11, 2014 10:55 PM in response to dianeoforegon

I just started the laptop, and the free space seems to be as large as it should be before the backup.

I will have a look to the clones apps, but I've chosen the TM way in order to clean completely my SSD, before re-intalling clean TM backups (a way to maintain my SSD without the Trim enabled, as it's not a leisure Mac SSD).

But could you explain why there is still a gap between the real used space and the available space ? As I said in my first post, the partition is about 95GB, I use 65Gb and there is only 19GB available ... any idea ?

Thanks for the answers, by the way.

Maverick 10.9.3 update made me lost 5GB of free space instantly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.