Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared Library Error

I've been looking all over the net for about two weeks now trying to find a solution to this problem.

Application Launch Failure

The application "PowerPoint" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "4<Microsoft PowerPoint><OpenGLLibrary><CFMPriv_AGL>"

All of my Microsoft Office X apps work except for PowerPoint.

I've found about 50 (I was going to say 1000) suggestions on how to fix the problem. Lots of guesses. No one knows what is going on and no one has an answer. The above text in quotes varies from problem to problem, BUT, it's always a shared library error.

I've tried every suggestion I've found. Nothing makes any difference.

To the best of my knowledge, this problem occured not long after I 'updated' some system protection from Apple/Mac and/or 'updated' Office from Microsoft.

Will all of the pundits please chime in? Let's think this out and stop guessing.

Gary

Mac 733, Mac OS X (10.3.9), no games, no fluff, I use my Mac for business.

Posted on Sep 11, 2006 9:48 PM

10 replies

Sep 20, 2006 6:43 PM in response to AuCountry

AuCountry:

There is indeed, a Library for the whole volume. However, since one of the advantages of Unix based OS X is that you can have several completely separate and self-contained user accounts on a single volume, and each user account has its own set up, permissions and preferences, having a Library in each Home Folder facilitates this ability. This is both necessary and desirable.

Good luck.

cornelius

Sep 22, 2006 11:35 PM in response to Michael Conniff

I updated Quicktime when I got a message to update.

QuickTime 7.1.3, update 9/1/06
iTunes 6.0.5, update 7/19/06

I rarely use iTunes, Quicktime, iMovie, or just about any other application. With the exception of Safari, FileMaker, MS Word, Excel, Adobe GoLive, PhotoShop, Fetch, and things like the calculator, I rarely use any other applications on the Computer.

Sep 24, 2006 6:01 AM in response to AuCountry

iTunes was updated to 7.0 on Sep 13, so you are a little out of date. It seems the QuickTime update may have caused this problem. Some people have made it go away by reverting to an earlier version of QuickTime, others have found that the iTunes updated corrected it. But there is no definitive solution yet.

You might try one or the other of these approaches. Please let us know if they work or not!

Shared Library Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.