Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Damaged LCD screen apparently due to Pressure in 5S

I had bought my iPhone 5S the very first day it was launched in India. Now, the problem is that last night having left the phone on charging (usually i don't), this morning i saw a small black spot on the screen. The spot started to get bigger and bigger every 15min or so and then now it is the size of a coin on the botton right corner.

After taking it to the service centre, the guys tell me that it is physical damage due to the application of extreme pressure on the screen which lead to the rupturing of the LCD screen (though the screen and other parts of the phone are in mint condition). Why would anyone apply pressure on their iphone deliberately, especially on something (atleast for me) it costs me as much as i earn per month. If it had to be accidental, then i assure that there was neither a drop nor any unusual item in my pocket that could damage. Apparently it's going to cost me a bomb of Rs.19,300 to get the replacement on something that i do not have a clue about.

Has anyone faced a similar issue or is there any alternative? Really feeling helpless at this stage to be spending another huge amount!

P.S: Weather conditions in the city i live is currently 45-50 deg celsius if that matters at all

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Jun 12, 2014 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2014 10:45 AM

Many people, however, have found their phone to suffer damage when they put the phone in their pocket and then bend over or sit down. Similarly, damage can occur when the phone is put in a briefcase, backpack or some other container where another object or a strap, buckle or something similar could put pressure on a phone.

Whether the service center is correct is something none of us can say since we can't examine the iPhone ourselves. You can try a different service center, if there's one you can reach, and see if they reach the same conclusion. If they do, then you'll just have to pay the replacement price, find an unauthorized shop and see if they could repair it for less, or buy another phone.

Regards.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2014 10:45 AM in response to Suraj.nurani

Many people, however, have found their phone to suffer damage when they put the phone in their pocket and then bend over or sit down. Similarly, damage can occur when the phone is put in a briefcase, backpack or some other container where another object or a strap, buckle or something similar could put pressure on a phone.

Whether the service center is correct is something none of us can say since we can't examine the iPhone ourselves. You can try a different service center, if there's one you can reach, and see if they reach the same conclusion. If they do, then you'll just have to pay the replacement price, find an unauthorized shop and see if they could repair it for less, or buy another phone.

Regards.

Apr 9, 2017 7:22 AM in response to Suraj.nurani

Same problem with my iPhone 5S. Tiny black spot appeared on right bottom corner of screen and similar explanation was given to me. Though my phone was in warranty but apple service center did not helped me. Rather they offered me repair which itself was cost of new 5S. Still 6 months phone worked well without any problem but spot increased day by day and now after 6 months screen becomes gray after pressing unlock button sometimes screen wakes up sometimes not. Worst mistake I did that i didn't purchased insurance against breakage/ water damage. So if you wanna buy iP now buy damage insurance along with new phone.

Jul 4, 2017 6:49 AM in response to sandeepp25

Dont buy iphone when you want to use it. I had bad experience thrice. Apple customer care never cares customers but sells their accessories in a efficient way. Their authorized technical team smart enough to categorize device defect as 'not covered under warranty'.

When I walk with a problem of black circle on the screen, technicians dont even attend my call. Gopalan mall service center customer token system is joke. They made me to wait from 10AM to 2PM to say pressure damage.

i could see this issue is happening since year 2014 and even now apple do not want to resolve this quality issue. How many people has luxury to spend money in thousands and apply pressure ? I guess it is cheap quality display panel and burns from inside. Overheat problem is always there when I use both mobile data and voice calls.

I used my phone only for six months and service center guy asking 70% of my phone cost to replace panel. It was my bad idea to buy this phone and I never buy apple products in the future.

Like this post, I am telling people to wake up before they decide to buy apple products.

Jun 17, 2014 11:37 AM in response to Suraj.nurani

Hello guys!

Thank you for all your comments and discussion. Just to update you with the latest update of my problem. I had contact the india customer care and they had said that after examining the device it looks like physical damage and after speaking to one of the agent's seniors who has to be re best ever customer service guy I've ever spoken to assured me of a amicable resolution. He forwarded my problem to the US design department and even they rejected my claim for warranty. He then forwarded my problem to the Singapore global customer service guys and they have offered me a replacement for my damaged phone as an exception.

Really would like to appreciate the efforts made by this gentleman by the name of Mr. Vinay kumar who helped me throughout and has saved me a ton load of money. At one point when I was regretting buying this phone he has just brought back the special feeling of owning an apple product and a dare say it has to be the best customer service experience I've had in my life and I honestly feel no other company would've listened to a guy like me so patiently and more importantly resolve it the way I wanted.

Thank you Apple. Thank you Vinay!

Aug 5, 2014 6:52 AM in response to Suraj.nurani

Hello Suraj,

Good to know that someone help you.

I got the damage on my Display due to fault of Future World N Block Connaught Place Almost more then 23 days I complaint to ACC but no reply till now. Previous conversation of store and ACC & us ACC they reject my case.

Even they are not providing any chat details done by store people.

Store is demanding 21500/- its too much for display replacement.

If it is like this we will never go for apple again nor suggest to any one.

I used most of the Models like 3gs, 4, 5 but never visited customer care.

Such a bad product after the Owner change in 4 Months the charging cable sleeve is destroyed but no replacement i asked many service centre.

I wrote to senior & speak to many of them. Most of the time I told all the stories again and again to new senior person.

even though some of them put on for wait at the store for approx. 3 hrs. they never call back and no apology from them.

Got the ext. no. of one of senior phone is on voicemail leave massage but no one call back.

Please let me know that you complaint to Singapore directly or this Guy Mr. Vinay will help you .

can you share his details.

Jun 3, 2015 6:47 PM in response to mannu new delhi

i had exactly the same problem with my iphone 6 plus which bought less than 3 full months.

I had visited one of the Apple Authorized Service Provider in Singapore, and the lady told me this black spot was caused by extreme pressure on the screen.

Your concern crossed my mind as well: "Why would anyone apply extreme pressure on their iphone deliberately"

The lady then said this is not covered under Apple Limited Warranty, as it was caused by accidental damaged.

The replacement would cost SGD$270.

I had never dropped my phone, as it is so precious to me.

I had never charged my phone overnight.

Yet the small dot became bigger and bigger over one week.

Is there any way I can contact the Global Service person in SG that assist you?

Thanks

Jul 30, 2015 11:32 AM in response to Suraj.nurani

I am faced with the identical problem. I faced it not once, but twice. I bought my Apple 5S soon after its launch in Sri Lanka in December 2013 from a local agent who deals directly with Apple. About six months afterwards the display started giving problems and the black spot started appearing the same way it has been described by Suraj.Nurani in the post dated June 12, 2014. It gradually grew bigger and appeared often when the phone was being charged. The agent (Dialog) told me that Apple has found it to be due to pressure damage and would therefore not undertake to rectify the problem under the warranty cover which was still operative. Instead I was also offered a replacement for a whopping SLR 40,000/=. Although I was certain that my 5S was never exposed to such kind of pressure, I gave the benefit of the doubt to Apple and got a replacement for Rs. 40,000/= in October 2014.

I was extra careful this time not to let the phone get exposed to even the slightest pressure of any kind whatsoever. The phone was all the time in my custody and I know for sure that not even a very slight pressure was applied on it. However, unfortunately, just six months afterwards the same problem arose in the new unit as well. I suspected that I would be told the same thing this time as well because the problem was identical. My suspicion was proved right. I was again told that it is due to pressure damage and further that the three month limited warranty I was entitled to for the replacement was also over. I am in an absolutely helpless situation. I know that the identification of the cause of the problem is certainly wrong. There was no pressure whatsoever experienced by my phone. I always carried it in my hand or shirt pocket in which I never carried anything else. Now again I am offered a replacement for 40K. If I do that I will end up paying almost double the price of the phone. Shall be grateful if Apple intervenes and looks into this seriously to ensure that no one else suffers the same fate. I also expect some satisfactory redress. Thank you.

Damaged LCD screen apparently due to Pressure in 5S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.