13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2006 2:34 PM by F Shippey
ollie61 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I have some excellent photographs in a slide show that I want to burn to iDVD. I have tried sending to iDVD but am not happy with the resolution. I have read on this forum that the resolution will always be less when transferred to iDVD.

So my question is in two parts

1. If using iDVD what steps can I take to ensure the best resolution? I can't crop to screen size at it ruins the composition.
2. If not iDVD then what will give me resolution as good as or nearly as good as the original slideshow?

Cheers
Ollie

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.6)
  • 1. Re: How to get Best Resolution from iPhoto to iDVD
    SDIllini Level 6 Level 6 (16,670 points)
    Hi ollie:

Welcome to discussions!

Just wondering-have you tried viewing the DVD on a TV screen versus your monitor? The resolution will be much better there.

Sue
  • 2. Re: How to get Best Resolution from iPhoto to iDVD
    Thanks for the welcome.
    Yes I have and actually it is much worse

Ollie
  • 3. Re: How to get Best Resolution from iPhoto to iDVD
    Mike Bisom1 Level 4 Level 4 (3,535 points)
    Hi Olie,

It's late so I'm to lazy to google it but is Australia PAL or NTSC? In North America we are NTSC. This means that a DVD will have a resolution of 720x480. It won't matter how high of resolution your files are or what program you use to create the DVD: a standard definition DVD will have 720x480 pixels. Next, the whole DV/DVD specification was designed for motion video, not for still images. So, in general, it is a good idea to apply at least a slight motion keyframe (Ken Burns effect). The following tutorial actually uses PS and After Effects but it gives you an idea:

http://forums.creativecow.net/articles/kramer_andrew/slideshows/slideshow.htm

Of course there are some high-defination DVD options on the market now... in the $1,000 range for a burner!

Mike
  • 4. Re: How to get Best Resolution from iPhoto to iDVD
    lyn Fairlie Level 2 Level 2 (200 points)
    Ollie, I use an application called FotoMagico - you can download a demo version of it and have a play. It works with both iMovie and iDVD and the end quality (IMO) is much better. The photo's you see in iPhoto are the photo's you see in FotoMagico. It also has great pan and zoom effects and fills the screen with all shots (including verticals).
  • 5. Re: How to get Best Resolution from iPhoto to iDVD
    Mike

Oz is PAL, we don't like that NTSC (never twice same colour) down here

Thanks for your advice, makes sense, so I need HD TV and HD DVD it seems to get best quality. Still I've seen better stuff on DVD made form digital cameras and burned onto DVD slideshow than what my combination can produce. I wonder how?

Cheers
    David
  • 6. Re: How to get Best Resolution from iPhoto to iDVD
    David

I am in Oz too... trust me - try FotoMagico and you will love the results.
  • 7. Re: How to get Best Resolution from iPhoto to iDVD
    Lyn

I downloade and paid for a licence, and it looks good but I've coe up with a problem that I can't seem to get around. It is off topic here but I'd welcome your reply. I have a lonf slideshow that requires three songs as backing. I can see no way to add more than one iTunes track to FotoMagico slideshows. Am I missing something?

Ollie
  • 8. Re: How to get Best Resolution from iPhoto to iDVD
    SDIllini Level 6 Level 6 (16,670 points)
    Perhaps you can workaround this by burning your songs on an Audio CD (not data or mp3) and re-import them to iTunes.
    Choose 'Join CD Tracks' from the Avanced menu in the menubar and iTunes will combine all of the songs fron the CD into one song.

However-I do not use Fotmagico.

:)Sue
  • 9. Re: How to get Best Resolution from iPhoto to iDVD
    David

I just finished a project with 150 photos and 3 tracks - all done in FotoMagico. If you need a walk through email me and I will walk you through it.
  • 10. Re: How to get Best Resolution from iPhoto to iDVD
    nitch1953 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I'm working on a slideshow of ~245 slides and will need to add several pieces of music...portions here and there. Does Fotomagico allow you to clip and use fade in and out when music transitions are necessary? Also, I plan to use tunes purchased on iTunes by burning them to a CD then importing them into Fotomagico...(trying to work around DRM issue)...think that'll work? My first attempt at using this slideshow s/w for special occasion. So far, so good with the photos..hoping the music adds will be easy too. Thanks.
  • 11. Re: How to get Best Resolution from iPhoto to iDVD
    As far as I know it allows fade in and out for transitions - but perhaps not as much as you hoped for. THink you can play around with it though. Failing that, clip them in Garage Band.
  • 12. Re: How to get Best Resolution from iPhoto to iDVD
    ghjghjghk Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    David

I just finished a project with 150 photos and 3
    tracks - all done in FotoMagico. If you need a walk
    through email me and I will walk you through it.

Hello

I'm new to this.
    I read youir post about fotomagico.
    I'm a 15 years old portuguese boy and I want to make a slideshow to my dad. It's a present with love for him.
    I'm writing to you because I need some help with the program. I have the demo version but there is a logo mark on each slide... it's so ugly....
    Can you provide me the serial key? I know it's not a good thing to ask but... I really don't want to offer a slideshow to my dad with a mark....

Thank you very much!

Hugo Lima
    hugofrlima@gmail.com
  • 13. Re: How to get Best Resolution from iPhoto to iDVD
    F Shippey Level 7 Level 7 (21,500 points)
    Hugo,

Can you provide me the serial key? I know it's not a
    good thing to ask but... I really don't want to offer
    a slideshow to my dad with a mark....

This request is WAY beyond the terms of Use of the Apple Forums. I am reporting your post to have it deleted!