Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get Best Resolution from iPhoto to iDVD

I have some excellent photographs in a slide show that I want to burn to iDVD. I have tried sending to iDVD but am not happy with the resolution. I have read on this forum that the resolution will always be less when transferred to iDVD.

So my question is in two parts

1. If using iDVD what steps can I take to ensure the best resolution? I can't crop to screen size at it ruins the composition.
2. If not iDVD then what will give me resolution as good as or nearly as good as the original slideshow?

Cheers
Ollie

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Sep 12, 2006 6:35 AM

13 replies

Sep 12, 2006 10:19 PM in response to ollie61

Hi Olie,

It's late so I'm to lazy to google it but is Australia PAL or NTSC? In North America we are NTSC. This means that a DVD will have a resolution of 720x480. It won't matter how high of resolution your files are or what program you use to create the DVD: a standard definition DVD will have 720x480 pixels. Next, the whole DV/DVD specification was designed for motion video, not for still images. So, in general, it is a good idea to apply at least a slight motion keyframe (Ken Burns effect). The following tutorial actually uses PS and After Effects but it gives you an idea:

http://forums.creativecow.net/articles/kramer_andrew/slideshows/slideshow.htm

Of course there are some high-defination DVD options on the market now... in the $1,000 range for a burner!

Mike

Sep 13, 2006 1:45 AM in response to Mike Bisom1

Mike

Oz is PAL, we don't like that NTSC (never twice same colour) down here 🙂

Thanks for your advice, makes sense, so I need HD TV and HD DVD it seems to get best quality. Still I've seen better stuff on DVD made form digital cameras and burned onto DVD slideshow than what my combination can produce. I wonder how?

Cheers
David

Sep 13, 2006 2:02 PM in response to lyn Fairlie

Lyn

I downloade and paid for a licence, and it looks good but I've coe up with a problem that I can't seem to get around. It is off topic here but I'd welcome your reply. I have a lonf slideshow that requires three songs as backing. I can see no way to add more than one iTunes track to FotoMagico slideshows. Am I missing something?

Ollie

Sep 15, 2006 12:03 PM in response to lyn Fairlie

I'm working on a slideshow of ~245 slides and will need to add several pieces of music...portions here and there. Does Fotomagico allow you to clip and use fade in and out when music transitions are necessary? Also, I plan to use tunes purchased on iTunes by burning them to a CD then importing them into Fotomagico...(trying to work around DRM issue)...think that'll work? My first attempt at using this slideshow s/w for special occasion. So far, so good with the photos..hoping the music adds will be easy too. Thanks.

Oct 25, 2006 2:24 PM in response to lyn Fairlie

David

I just finished a project with 150 photos and 3
tracks - all done in FotoMagico. If you need a walk
through email me and I will walk you through it.

Hello

I'm new to this.
I read youir post about fotomagico.
I'm a 15 years old portuguese boy and I want to make a slideshow to my dad. It's a present with love for him.
I'm writing to you because I need some help with the program. I have the demo version but there is a logo mark on each slide... it's so ugly.... 😟
Can you provide me the serial key? I know it's not a good thing to ask but... I really don't want to offer a slideshow to my dad with a mark....

Thank you very much!

Hugo Lima
hugofrlima@gmail.com

How to get Best Resolution from iPhoto to iDVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.