Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No group message option in iMessage option in settings

For some reason I don't have a group messaging option under iMessage options, I'm using a 5s and running ios 7.1.1

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Jun 12, 2014 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2014 12:48 PM

The Group Message option is not an iMessage option, it is an MMS message option. It will disappear if you have MMS Messaging turned off. It is also possible that it could be related to your cellular carrier/plan. The following quotation is from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5760

The Group Messaging setting applies only to MMS messages.

• Your wireless carrier may restrict the maximum number of recipients allowed in a group message with MMS.
  • Disabling Group Messaging has no effect on iMessage behavior. Responses to group iMessages are always sent to all recipients.
  • Group messaging with MMS requires an appropriate plan from your carrier for use on iPhone.
  • Carrier messaging rates may apply when using group messaging with MMS.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2014 12:48 PM in response to Mjsenior

The Group Message option is not an iMessage option, it is an MMS message option. It will disappear if you have MMS Messaging turned off. It is also possible that it could be related to your cellular carrier/plan. The following quotation is from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5760

The Group Messaging setting applies only to MMS messages.

• Your wireless carrier may restrict the maximum number of recipients allowed in a group message with MMS.
  • Disabling Group Messaging has no effect on iMessage behavior. Responses to group iMessages are always sent to all recipients.
  • Group messaging with MMS requires an appropriate plan from your carrier for use on iPhone.
  • Carrier messaging rates may apply when using group messaging with MMS.

Mar 29, 2017 7:11 AM in response to tolson32

I've had success making a group chat with two android phones. But I have the "group messaging" setting turned on. However, I have noticed that some iPhones do not have this setting (at all) on their phone (some of which are the same model phone and on the same carrier). Another interesting fact (as MJsenior pointed out) the iPhones that don't have the "group messaging" setting shown, the plan or carrier "does not support group messaging." While an Android phone on the carrier and same plan can group message just fine. So much for "iPhones, they just work."

User uploaded file

No group message option in iMessage option in settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.