Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resetting Keychain Password - is this the correct remedy?

I need to reset my MacBook OSX Lion Version 10.7.5 (Unibody) Keychain code/password. I do not know what the original password was!

Please let me know if the following recommendation (previously from a helpful Apple Support Community member) would work for my specific MacBook? I quote:

Symptoms

If Keychain First Aid finds an issue that it cannot repair, or if you do not know your keychain password, you may need to reset your keychain. (Resetting a keychain sets aside the original default keychain file and creates a new one.)

Resolution

To reset your keychain in Mac OS X 10.4, Mac OS X 10.5, and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or later:

1. Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.
  2. From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
  3. Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.
  4. Authenticate with your account login password.
  5. Quit Keychain Access.
  6. Restart your computer.

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.5.8), Also :MacBook OSX 10.7.1 (Unibody)

Posted on Jun 12, 2014 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2014 3:00 PM

That is correct. The consequence of not remembering the original Keychain's password is that you will simply have to populate the new one with entries such as login names and passwords. You only have to do that once. It's not that big a deal.

The original Keychain might as well be deleted.

3 replies

Jun 12, 2014 3:03 PM in response to efreken77

This is the procedure you need to follow to reset your Login password.

OS X Lion: Reset a login password

If that does not work for whatever reason you can also use the following technique:

1. Restart your Mac while holding down the ⌘ and R keys at the same time until you see the OS X Recovery screen.
  2. From the menu bar at the top, select Utilities > Terminal.
  3. In the Terminal window type resetpassword and press Enter. A window will open behind Terminal that looks like this

User uploaded file User uploaded file

1. Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD" in the above screenshot), choose your user account from the dropdown selection, enter a new password, complete the password hint field, and click Save.
  2. You may then see a confirmation dialog explaining how this change affects Keychain Access and what to do about it. Remember it or write it down, then click OK.
  3. Quit Reset Password
  4. Quit Terminal
  5. Quit OS X Utilities and restart your Mac.

To fix your Keychain problems, go to your Utilities folder and open Keychain Access. Follow the steps here: Mac OS X: Keychain Access asks for keychain "login" after changing login password.

Resetting Keychain Password - is this the correct remedy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.