Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5 stopped charging and will now only charge when turned off, but the battery won't even last a hour once turned on. When I try to plug it in while it's on it say that this accessory may not be supported.

The charger I am using is an apple wire and plug in. I've tried varies wires and nothing works while turned on. The battery percentage does so fast that I could literally sit here and counted down. Please, please, please help me

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Jun 12, 2014 7:27 PM

5 replies

Jun 15, 2014 10:31 AM in response to Skysky26

Hi Skysky26,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

Are you using the USB adapter cable and charger that came with the iPhone? Also, take a look at the article below, it has some other suggestions that may resolve the charging issue.

iPhone and iPod touch: Charging the battery

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1476

Do one of the following to charge your battery:

• For the quickest charge, connect your device to a power outlet using the USB cable that came with your device and an Apple USB power adapter.
  • Connect your device to a USB port on your computer (not an external keyboard) using the USB cable that came with the device. Your computer must be on.
    • Depending on the computer, your device may charge quicker if you remove all USB devices except the keyboard and mouse.
    • If you're using a portable computer, make sure it's plugged in to power and that the display (or lid) is open.
  • Connect the device to an externally powered USB hub. For the quickest charge, you may need to disconnect other USB devices.
If you sync or use the device while charging the battery, your device might take longer to charge. Some third-party cables and accessories that aren't Apple certified, or are FireWire equipped, may not charge your device properly. If you see either of the alerts below, the device may not charge:
  • "This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone."
  • "This accessory is not supported by this device."
Try another cable or accessory. If either of these alerts appear and nothing is connected to the dock connector, make sure that the dock connector is free of debris.

Resolving issues

If your battery doesn't charge, or if your device shows a low-battery image, black screen, or "accessory not supported" alert, follow these steps.
  1. Inspect the connector at the bottom of the phone:
    • Make sure that there are no bent pins in the connector.
    • Make sure that the connector is free from debris.
    • If there are bent pins or debris, please contact Apple Support.
    • Otherwise, continue troubleshooting.
  2. Make sure that the outlet you're using works.
  3. Make sure that the Apple USB cable and Apple USB power adapter work.
  4. Plug the device in to power and let it charge until your device turns on. This could take between 10 and 30 minutes. If you don't have an Apple USB power adapter, try connecting to a computer's high-power USB 2.0 port (not a keyboard). The computer must be on.
  5. If the device still exhibits an issue, try turning your device off and then on again while connected to power.
  6. If the issue persists, please contact Apple Support.

About battery life and the battery

Battery life and number of charge cycles vary by use and settings. Find more information about batteries foriPhone and iPod.

Learn how long the battery is expected to last between charges.

Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced.

-Jason

Aug 26, 2014 10:31 AM in response to Skysky26

Vamos a ver. Hay baterías de iphone 5 defectuosas que Apple cambiará en todo el mundo a partir del día 29 de agosto. Hay una página oficial de reemplazo en soporte de Apple donde hay que introducir el nº de serie de tu iphone para determinar si tu móvil está afectado.

Por otro lado el maravilloso cable lightning para su carga no funciona bien en muchísimos casos, como dirían desde Apple. Se están informando miles de quejas que dicen que falla la carga por "oxidación" de los contactos... Creo que es falso ya que intentan comentar como problema que falla el baño de oro de los mismos, etc., etc. Creo que no tiene nada que ver... El terminal tiene un minúsculo chip incorporado que en mi opinión es el causante del problema. El caso es que carga intermitentemente: es decir, conecta, desconecta y pita. Y así una vez y otra y otra. Esto además puede generar problemas con la propia batería y puede que en alguna parte más del hardware, como me ha ocurrido a mi y como sabéis, o debierais saberlo, la garantía de la batería es de sólo "un año". El cambio en España vale 75 € y la maravillosa Apple dice que la pagues tú...

Mi familia, somos cliente de Apple hace más de 20 años, desde los primeros LCs.. Cuando mi batería se parecía a las del anuncio de Samsung, este que todos los fanboys andan buscando un enchufe, fui a una Applestore, donde me informaron de que su capacidad de carga estaba en un 40%. Es decir en año y medio había perdido un 60% de su capacidad original. Como tenía año y medio no entraba en garantía... y yo muy enfadado por la actitud prepotente del "Genius" de turno dije que no pensaba cambiar ni pagar allí una batería nueva por este precio. Total que la sustituí por otra nueva en un reparador de móviles aconsejado por un "apple retail" de la localidad. Pagué 70 € perdí el resto de garantía del teléfono que quedaba... empezó a fallar la carga por problema del cable que os he comentado y ahora se descuelga Apple que sustituirá estas baterías, por supuesto defectuosas. GRACIAS APPLE. Cambié la mía el pasado 16 de julio. Ah!, un hijo mío con iPhone 5s, traído de San Francisco hace escasamente un mes: enciende y apaga cuando le da la gana, se reinicia solo, etc. etc. Este lo tiene en garantía"americana" todavía...

Espero amigo que aunque en español te aclare tus problemas con los increíbles productos Apple...

Un cliente INSATISFECHO de su iphone 5 y de los Genius de Apple que me han tocado. (Que no son más que unos mandados)

My iPhone 5 stopped charging and will now only charge when turned off, but the battery won't even last a hour once turned on. When I try to plug it in while it's on it say that this accessory may not be supported.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.