Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my mp3 create a "copy"?

I'm using Logic Express 8.0.2 on Mac OSX 10.6.8.

I don't know if this is strictly a Logic problem, but it's happening with an mp3 file that I created in logic. Every time I double click the file to play it (it opens in iTunes), instead of playing the file, it creates a copy and plays that. For example, let's say the file name is "audio.mp3" When I click it, it will playback a file called "audio copy.mp3" It will play normally, but then when I go back to the folder that has the mp3, there is a second file called "audio copy.mp3" If I click the original file again, it will create another copy "audio copy 2.mp3" Again, it will play normally.

This is happening with one specific file, not every mp3 I've created in Logic Express. Is there any way to get the file to play without creating a copy?

Posted on Jun 13, 2014 8:08 AM

4 replies

Jun 13, 2014 8:47 AM in response to Troy Elliot Tyson

iTunes automatically adds a copy of any file you use iTunes to open. If you add the file to iTunes by dragging to the Automatically Add To iTunes folder it will add it to itunes and move that mp3.

It is also possible to add a file but not have it make a copy by disabling the "copy to iTunes folder" in iTunes preferences but that has major implications for how your library files are managed and not something you want to do unless you start managing all your media on your own.

Jun 13, 2014 8:56 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you for getting back to me. I think I understand what you're saying, but this isn't copying it to my iTunes folder (well, maybe it is doing that as well), it is copying it to the same folder that the original file is in, which happens to be located on an external hard drive. I have other mp3s that I created in Logic in this same folder, and these open normally without creating a copy (they may be creating a copy elsewhere, like an iTunes folder, but not in the same folder the file came from). My issue is that if I play the mp3 10 times, I will have 10 copies, so I need to keep deleting these copies.

Jun 13, 2014 5:37 PM in response to Studio X

Thank you for the tip, but I tried that, and it's still making a copy of the file. It plays fine in Quicktime too, but it's playing a copy. Also, I'm not sure if this helps, but as soon as the copy is made, it messes up the spacing of the icons and file names in the folder. For example, there are wide gaps between files where there weren't before, and the file names (which typically are displayed just below the icon) are on top of the icons (overlapping). I can fix this "spacing" issue by clicking "Arrange By >>> Name" and then it displays normally again.

Why does my mp3 create a "copy"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.