Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any Safari newer than 6.1.3 for Lion? Facebook Plugin Failure

I have a MacBook Pro which unless I can get a newer version of Safari for Lion (10.7.5), I may be forced to upgrade to Mavericks.

I'm getting a plugin failure in Safari loading pictures on Facebook. Latest Java, latest Flash. No idea why there is a plugin failure.

I don't want to switch web browsers as my wife depends on too many passwords on websites to switch them.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), * I may get paid from macmaps links

Posted on Jun 13, 2014 6:03 PM

20 replies

Jun 13, 2014 6:59 PM in response to a brody

I tried the solutions here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6076600?answerId=25497830022#25497830022

Including 13.0.0.201 Flash after uninstall, and it failed miserably. Only my 10.9 system adds photos to albums without complaint. It was not a problem before today. This is a MacBook Pro 5,3 which is way newer than the ones the thread suggests has a problem. Do I need to upgrade to 10.9.2 or not?

Jun 14, 2014 12:32 AM in response to a brody

Hi !!

You should be able to upload photos to Facebook on v10.7 and Safari 6.

Make sure Allow Plug-Ins is selected in Safari > Preferences > Security

If that was already checked, it could be a Safari extension prevent photos from being uploading.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

BTW, there's a new version of Flash available: 14.0.0.125

System Preferences > Flash Player > Advanced > Check Now

Jun 14, 2014 5:35 PM in response to a brody

The only thing that worked was going to another account.

Extensions removed and off.

Plugins enabled for Facebook.

Peer assisted browsing enabled for Facebook.

Using the 14.0.0.125 and Safari 6.1.4. Found Safari on Macupdate, verified the Flash with Adobe and only installed after using Adobe's installer.

Tried even deleting the cookies, cache, for Facebook to no avail.

Tried moving the Users -> yourname-> Library -> Safari folder to the desktop to no avail.

Never touched MacKeeper or anything of the like, and did repair extensions with Disk Utility to no avail.

Only the simple uploader works.

Jun 14, 2014 5:38 PM in response to a brody

I've temporarily installed 10.9.3 on a new partition, but it is going to be a mass migration headache bringing the essential e-mail etc... over.

If anyone can solve it I'll be eternally greatful.

Oh by the way, maybe Facebook's downtime today was related to the problem, although it wasn't solved after the fact.

Any Safari newer than 6.1.3 for Lion? Facebook Plugin Failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.