Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Closed Caption nor Subtitles in iTunes Movies ?!?

I just purchased a movie (The Ladykillers with Tom Hanks) at $9.99 and was disappointed to see that the movie did not have any captioning or subtitling options. I have sent in a request for refund. Is this the path Apple going, ignoring hard of hearing viewers ?

Many of those movies (from DVD) and TV shows already has closed caption at the original source, why is Apple not also duplicating them ? Quicktime ALREADY has captioning support - it is called Text track and has been there for years and years. Leopard is going to even make turning this option on easier. And yet iTunes is missing this very important feature. With the upcoming "iTV" (may i suggest iWatch?), I seriously hope Apple is not falling into this habitual forming of focusing entirely on audio and ignoring the other needs. Apple has always had a somewhat good leadership in accessiblity support years ago, so I hope they will continue this.

Will someone at Apple please respond this issue ??? I have been on phone for over 4 or 5 hours at one sitting trying to find someone to talk with about captioning issues at Apple. They only gave me a runaround, literally - I went from square one through many departments, only to be sent back to square one 4 or 5 hours later, a full circle!

any models iTunes TV Show Movies closed caption subtitle

Posted on Sep 12, 2006 3:03 PM

16 replies

Sep 12, 2006 3:33 PM in response to Bob Hawbaker

You will get a refund, but since today is the first day of the new release iTune 7, tech service is overloaded I am sure. In the past other people, deaf or hard-of-hearing, has gotten a refund. I agree with you that there is technology there and all ready, just Apple is being a Microsoft at this time. I hope that they will see that and change and support over 20 million Deaf people in the United States alone.

Good Luck. Stick to it and hopefully they will hear us.

Cheers!

G5 Dual 2Ghz PowerPC Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Sep 12, 2006 8:25 PM in response to Bob Hawbaker

I would recommend saving the money on iTune movies and pay yourself the time to use HandBrake to embed subtitles into your DVD movies then import it into your iPod. I'm a big fan of copywrite laws but when a company like Apple discriminates the deaf by not providing subtitles or CC then we really have no other choice. The ADA is all about equal access.

DP

Sep 13, 2006 9:44 AM in response to David P.

Handbrakes is a good idea however does not meet my needs tho. I do not have the DVD and would like to purchase or rent them online like this with iTunes or Amazon to ease things.

I doubt Apple is discriminating the deaf on purpose. This is more of a really really bad overlook that should have never happened in the first place.

About ADA, that would not affect this, nor will FCC. I do not think we should be making a blanket regulation over captioning internet videos. That is a dangerous path to go down. Image, someone wants to post a home movie of his children's birthday, but can't until he adds captions. Instead, we should ask FCC to modify the existing closed caption regulations to say that if the internet video's sources had closed captions, then it should be required that captions are also transferred to online videos. This regulation would be directly targeted at broadcasters and movie industry, who would be the only one that meets that clause, without upsetting other internet users.

bob

Sep 13, 2006 7:01 PM in response to Bob Hawbaker

This was also an issue when TV show were first released. Numerous people have been requesting captioning in iTunes purchases since then. The text track feature in Quicktime and the fact that the content is already captioned is a recurring theme - this should be an easy thing for Apple to implement.

What is really unfortunate is that I know of at least one study which showed that people who are deaf watch more TV and get more enjoyment from TV than their hearing peers. From this, you would expect the purchase rate of the deaf community would be higher. Captioning is also popular within the ESL community too.

Furthermore, the population of deaf people is not the right figure. It should be at least 2x the population due to the number of parents, children, spouses, etc. If this is for the couch (iTV), then you're talking the whole family.

To quote someone I know, "As they say, television is our music, and we're still waiting for our iPod."

Sep 15, 2006 10:45 PM in response to Bob Hawbaker

ADA requires any media available to the public must be made accessible if requested. I've been requesting this since I purchased my first iPod last year.

This is not a hard solution for Apple to provide - quite simple really. Just offer a download version with CC.

This is exactly what my lawyer and I needed was to see others making public requests. Apple seems to show not interest in providing access to its content by following ADA law.

I hope now we will have a legal case against Apple.

Dual 1.8 G5 Mac OS X (10.4.4) 1 GIG RAM

Sep 16, 2006 11:00 PM in response to Slone

ADA does not require Apple or any private commercial to provide media with closed caption. You may be confusing ADA with FCC regulations/laws. It is FCC who enforces the closed caption, plus the regulations applies only to broadcasters, i.e. television. Internet media are not included in the law, and in my opinion should not be broadly included neither. We need to be careful to specific only certain bodies such as broadcaster when creating new regulations for Internet videos. After all you don't want to be forced to caption your vacation videos do you ?

There is no need to start a legal case for this, about iTunes - Apple has not broken any laws. What we need to do is create public awareness of what Apple (and any other online providers such as Starz, Amazon Unbox, etc) are doing, that they are not including closed caption from the original sources that already has them. The companies like Apple also needs to be make aware of this issue too. If you know of anyone who works deep inside Apple, please use your contacts to shake up Apple!

About ADA, you may be thinking of government accessibility such as FCC meetings posted on their website as online video. Yes they do have to caption them, and they already do. However, I can think of few who do not tho, like some of NASA's videos or NASA TV but this is slowly changing for the better (not fast enough for me tho). NASA also has some podcasts on iTunes, and even those are not captioned. I read somewhere that some of NASA podcast were supposed to be captioned, but I could not find them. In this case, we need to complain with NASA not Apple.

For more information on caption details, please see resources at Captioning Advocacy

Sep 16, 2006 11:10 PM in response to Bob Hawbaker

Fascinating. Bob brings up a salient point on the access issue with iTunes products, gets a somewhat emotional response from another user who claims to have been asking for better accessability for over a year, and Bob answers the question with vast knowledge on Apple's legal responsibility, or, really, the lack thereof. How neat. How very clean. Let's all sleep well tonight.

Sep 19, 2006 6:02 AM in response to Bob Hawbaker

You are right that Quicktime does have Text Track feature but it is NOT a REAL CC feature.

PBS does have some QT video with CC support using Text Track method
like this one for example: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/genome/programadvqt.html (They also have them in RealVideo ) So this CC support is not exactly same as the CC support in those TV's cc decoder. That's why we don't see any CC in any TV episodes or Movies yet.

Now that in next Mac OS X, there will be more CC support which will include the REAL cc feature like we see on actual TV. But that is not in QT 7 yet It will be either in 7.5 or 8. (no you can't use the Leopard Developer Preview because Apple hasn't included cc tracks in all videos/movies in iTunes yet. )

Once Leopard is OUT, We will start seeing cc supports everywhere outside iTunes if they work to use it. (which I can't wait for 10.5 to come out.. I didn't attend WWDC so I didn't get it)

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/accessibility.html at bottom of page shows this;
"Closed captioning
QuickTime currently supports closed captioning by including a text track alongside audio and video content. But improved QuickTime support will automatically display the CEA-608 closed captioning text standard in analog broadcasts in the U.S."

The Latter part is very important. I am hoping that Apple will implement cc supports in TV shows and Movies as long those shows are cc'd on actual tv and in DVD releases.

Apple will not respond those issue IN Discussions.

For now, you are better off buying DVD (you can buy them from Amazon, Netflix even though Netflix is a rental and they do sell DVD old and first release)

You know that there are other online vendor that sell or rent movies download (Like Amazon Unbox or such) but NO CC shrug

Sep 21, 2006 1:43 AM in response to Bob Hawbaker

ADA does not require Apple or any private commercial
to provide media with closed caption. You may be
confusing ADA with FCC regulations/laws. It is FCC
who enforces the closed caption, plus the regulations
applies only to broadcasters, i.e. television.
Internet media are not included in the law, and in
my opinion should not be broadly included neither.
We need to be careful to specific only certain
bodies such as broadcaster when creating new
regulations for Internet videos. After all you
don't want to be forced to caption your vacation
videos do you ?

Yes, FCC does have a section for advocating closed captioning.

However in ADA - If any media, presentation, broadcast, signal or otherwise is offered to the public for viewing commercially - IT MUST BE MADE ACCESSIBLE. This is how we are able to force hand for interpreters, open captioning, etc..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Section 508 may also fit in here as well... ADA is so poorly worded in my opinion anyway.

There has not been enough legal action to mandate Apple to closed captioning on their portable media. However it's a simple win for the good of ADA

Under ADA Apple would receive funds invested back in return each tax year for their accessibility support.

After all you
don't want to be forced to caption your vacation
videos do you ?

Commercial media not personal media.

There is no need to start a legal case for this,
about iTunes - Apple has not broken any laws.

Correct - No laws broken, but discrimination of who can access their commercial media is a violation of rights. Sorry Deaf and Hard of Hearing - This is a Hearing only service.

What we need to do is create public awareness of what
Apple (and any other online providers such as Starz,
Amazon Unbox, etc) are doing, that they are not
including closed caption from the original sources
that already has them. The companies like Apple also
needs to be make aware of this issue too. If you
know of anyone who works deep inside Apple, please
use your contacts to shake up Apple!

I've spoke with Apple iTunes developers. "Closed captioning? can you please explain more?" "Yes, I understand.. I don't think this is possible at the time, or we have not looked into this technology." LOL Yeah... I could go rent a DVD right now, rip it with closed captioning on, and it works!

There is no communication going on internally about this, or at least not a month ago when I last made a call.

In sum it's simple. Apple is violating the rights of over 30 million deaf and hard of hearing alike here in America alone. Discrimination to public media.

I'm really upset at Apple.

Oct 18, 2006 6:11 PM in response to Slone

Bumpy Bump
Yep, Apple, what do you say ? Are we getting CC or subtitle for the iTunes Video or even a comment about it ?

Regard above message about it not being true CC. Well, yes it is not true 608 or 708 style CC, however it is indeed truly CC, i.e. "Closed" caption. The text track can be hidden or shown at will therefore it is close-able. That is what i meant by CC.

Oct 18, 2006 10:22 PM in response to Bob Hawbaker

I understand the need for CC if needed by some people.

What I am reading in this thread is that it is Apple's fault. How about that Apple is a conduit for the purchase such as is Amazon, WalMart or any other retailer. They can only sell what is provided by the content providers. Apple does not own nor control the content. Apple may be able to convince the content providers to give Apple the media to sell the suits your particular needs.

So is it Apple's fault or is it the content providers that are missing the point?

No I do not work for Apple.

MJ

Oct 19, 2006 11:17 PM in response to Mike Johnson12

That is a good question, something that Apple would have to answer if we want to get the real answer.

What I think is that Apple is not providing enough technical information to those providers to do captioning nor not encouraging them to do so. Someone needs to get on the ball to jump start this, guess who is best one to do it ? Yes, Apple is in the best position to jump start the trend of captioning. Many of those providers like ABC/Disney's video already have closed caption data. Apple could provide tools for trans-coding them into whatever is needed by Quicktime for iTunes.

Another thing to consider is caption needs to be able to turned on or off. This requires a menu item within iTunes. For this, only Apple can do it. They need to enable it at user level. At low level within Quicktime, the nuts and screws are already there, Apple needs to put them together to make it more accessible to providers.

We could also place the responsibilities on the providers too, but Apple needs to make it more accessible for them to do so. It would be nice if the providers could put pressure on Apple to do so.

I am sure Apple people probably do not really those messages, but I'll give it a shot anyways. So, Apple, what do you say, let's start something nobody have yet and lead them ?

bob

No Closed Caption nor Subtitles in iTunes Movies ?!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.