Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook shows a folder with question mark

When I turn my MacBook on a folder with a question mark appears and when I leave it on it just turns back off. When I turn it on while holding option key all that shows up is a box to connect to the internet that's all, when I turn it on holding cmd and R, internet recovery shows up and when I click it I connect to my internet it just stays on that screen and dosnt start the repair

Update:

It started showing Apple.com/support-2002F

Can someone maybe tell me what the problem is and how much it will cost me to get fixed

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 14, 2014 3:49 AM

10 replies

Jun 14, 2014 4:37 AM in response to Anthony GT

This may or may not help. Boot the MBP holding the OPTION+COMMAND+R keys. You should get a similar if not identical display. That should connect to the Apple servers. You need a solid Internet connection.

If you can get the 4 option menu as I showed earlier, follow those instructions. If you cannot get that 4 option menu, then make an appointment at an Apple store genius bar. They should be able to sort it out. As I indicated earlier, I suspect you will need a new internal HDD.

Ciao.

Jun 2, 2015 2:44 AM in response to Anthony GT

If it helps at all I had exactly the same problem after attempting a clean install of Yosemite on a MBA13, inadvertently skipping from the the "download OSX" in Disk Utility: trying to reboot went straight to the - what I believe us termed - folder of death.

No further progress was made after connecting to Wifi, spinning globe and WLAN connection was all that was on-screen for ten minutes before the warning triangle displaying "apple.com/support 2002F" came up.

Lots of threads advise trying gigabit cables or installers on flash drives but, although I also have an iMac, wasn't convinced the MBA would recognise an ether connection as the adaptor would not be configured to a new machine, and didn't have the time or expertise to flash OSXinstaller without crashing another Mac.

Here's what worked, in summary: after five failures on my home network I took the thing over to my Dad's house and connected to Wifi there, which is VirginMedia cable and has 2 or 5 GBpS speeds, and - lo and behold - two seconds after connection straight to progress bar!

Another ten minutes and Disk Utility returned, a further twenty and Yosemite installed and I'm up and running with only Pages etc. left to complete!

My guess is that some ISPs don't connect very well to Apple's servers for reasons that remain a mystery to me, Talktalk at my house perhaps being one of them. I still don't know about trying with a faster Ethernet connection because I reckon if you've wiped a partition with OSX then you've wiped any configurations for cable cable adaptors too, if they're necessary and you had them in the first place.

Tthere's always Apple's brilliant and usually free back-up if it fails but five minutes on a better network did the trick for me.

MacBook shows a folder with question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.