Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install mavericks on Macintosh HD - I'm not very 'techy'!

I have OS X 10.8 on a 2013 Macbook Air and have downloaded Mavericks. However I can't install it as it says cant be installed to Macintosh HD. I am not familiar with all the technical terms on this forum so coild somebody tell me in easy to understand language how to proceed!! Many thanks in anticipation.......

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jun 14, 2014 8:20 AM

9 replies

Jun 16, 2014 8:58 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you so much - however... I have an external hard drive from a macbook pro that I back up to. I found the 'backups folder on there but not on my macbook air that I currently use. I deleted the backups folder from the external drive and then had the option to install mavericks on there but not on my macbook air that I am using.

My question is now - should I install it on the external drive? Could I then copy it to my Air? I wonder if I have set it all up wrong initially? I connected the hard drive from my Mac myself and downloaded it all to my

new macbook air about a year ago and all has been well until now!

Can't install mavericks on Macintosh HD - I'm not very 'techy'!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.