Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked Ipod Classic not responding to Hold switch position

I have an Ipod classic that have been using connected to my 2013 Audi. Today my car dashboard screen showed the message "no device connected". It has happened to me before, so I did what I usually do: disconnect the Ipod and connect it back again. But this time it did not work. So I decided to disconnect it again and take a look at the Ipod screen to determine if a hard reset could be useful. Although the screen was not lit (with my flashlight I could still see the screen), I noticed that the lock icon at the top left corner of the Ipod screen showed the locked position. However, it did not unlock even when I changed the position of the switch back and forth. The "AUDI MM" (Audi Multimedia) screen was and still is showing on the Ipod screen.

I took then my Ipod to my Macbook Pro and plugged it in. My computer does not recognize it in spite of having tried different cables that all work properly with my iPad.

Evidently, my Ipod has to be either reset or completely restored, but (1) because of the locked status of the Ipod it won't let me do a hard reset, and (2) there's no way my computer detects it in oder to restore it. Since my Ipod has been working fine for almost a year, has never been hit or treated roughly, its screen still shows the Audi wallpaper and my computer does not recognize it, I asume the problem with the Hold switch comes from a software and not a hardware issue. This brings me to the following question:

Does anybody know if there is another way to reset an Ipod Classic regardless if it's in a Locked status?

I guess if it ran out of battery I could easily reset it just by recharging it, but unfortunately that won't happen anytime soon as its battery is completely charged and isn't consuming any energy at all.

iPod classic, Connected to an Audi S5 (2013)

Posted on Jun 14, 2014 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 1:31 AM

I have a '13 A6 and took my classic out tonight, saw it was locked, couldn't get it to operate nor did my iMac recognize it. I reset it (center/menu buttons till the Apple Logo appears). My computer then recognized it after a bit of time and I was able to sync the iPod. Mine was fully charged at the time.

Hope this might help.

I don't know why Audi MMI caused a lockup but I may try to see if there is a disconnect from MMI option in the future.

Concerning your comment about the MMI screen still showing the iPod. Did you change the MMI to radio or nav or tele to see if that showed an ipod disconnect when going back to the media function?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2014 1:31 AM in response to ILH

I have a '13 A6 and took my classic out tonight, saw it was locked, couldn't get it to operate nor did my iMac recognize it. I reset it (center/menu buttons till the Apple Logo appears). My computer then recognized it after a bit of time and I was able to sync the iPod. Mine was fully charged at the time.

Hope this might help.

I don't know why Audi MMI caused a lockup but I may try to see if there is a disconnect from MMI option in the future.

Concerning your comment about the MMI screen still showing the iPod. Did you change the MMI to radio or nav or tele to see if that showed an ipod disconnect when going back to the media function?

Locked Ipod Classic not responding to Hold switch position

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.