Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't turn off auto-renewal

In iOS 7 I'd like to cancel a couple Newsstand subscriptions. However, when I go to Manage my subscription, tap on the magazine I want to unsubscribe from, there is no on/off switch on the auto-renewal line. What am I doing wrong?

iPad, iOS 7.0.2, 32GB White WiFi

Posted on Jun 14, 2014 2:09 PM

18 replies

Jun 21, 2014 9:11 AM in response to pwodack

II've resorted to contacting iTunes support and they cancelled the magazines I wanted to unsubscribe from for me. They claim you have to unsubscribe using the device used to originally subscribed with which if true is total BS. I dont think that was my issue as the on/off switch is missing from auto renewal on magazines I know I've subscribed to on this iPad. This clearly shows a magazine I subscribed to on this iPad that I can't unsubscribe from. User uploaded file

Jun 21, 2014 9:39 AM in response to Jailer Joe

By any chance, did you turn on any of the settings under General/Accessibility/Increase Contrast, including Darken Colors? If so, turn them off and then check back to see if the toggle buttons have magically reappeared.

I know that makes no logical sense, but it worked in my case. The only reason that I figured this out is that as a last resort, I did a full restore of my iPad and set up as a new device. After doing that, I logged into my Apple/ iTunes account and went into Manage Subscriptions. The toggle buttons were back. Okay, I assumed that something had become corrupted in my old set ups, and as big of a PITA as the full restore as new was, I was happy to have the issue resolved. Then, I went about reactivating my preferred settings, including turning on the settings I described above. Later that day, I went back into Manage Subscriptions and the auto renewal toggle buttons were gone again! Imagine my frustration.

So I decided to undo any change I had made to my Settings since the restore (fortunately, it had only been a few changes at that point). In short, the difference was the Increase Transparency settings and, I believe in particular, Darken Colors. Since undoing that setting, the toggle buttons have been there and working as they should.

I know it makes no sense and it's obviously a bug in need of a fix, but hopefully this helps you!

Jun 21, 2014 1:05 PM in response to Jailer Joe

If not for begrudgingly doing the full restore and therefore being able to go back through my settings changes, I would have never in a million years connected THAT setting to THAT issue. I let iTunes Support know so that at least they might stop giving untrue and idiotic advice such as "you can only turn off auto renewal from the device for which you subscribed". I won't hold out for a fix to the bug unless they accidentally do so in iOS 8.

Cheers!

Jul 14, 2014 6:59 AM in response to pwodack

You're a genius!

So many times I've tried solutions I've found on the forums and very rarely do they work!

But I tried it anyway, even if it did sound doubtful.

and Viola, indeed!

You'd think Apple would have sorted this out long ago.

Thanks for your help, sorry you had to go through the pain for us!

(now just got to find out why I can't get this off bold type!?)

JC

Can't turn off auto-renewal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.