Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is There Anything I Can Do About Bad ESN?

Hi everyone,

Knowingly, I recently purchased an iPhone with bad ESN off of eBay. The seller and I talked about it, and she told me I should be able to just use it as an iPod (which I was planning on doing). When I got the phone, though, it would not let me avtivate it because there wasn't a SIM card in it. I use T-Mobile, so I decided to get a T-Mobile SIM card for it to plan ahead in case I ever do want to activate it. But when I finally got the SIM card, it said "SIM card is invalid". I talked to the T-Mobile support team, and they said I had to put it on service for 7 days in order to activate it with T-Mobile. So I added the phone to my plan, but it never showed up with having service and NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

I think this is because of the bad ESN or that the phone is wired for Sprint. How can I change this? Is there anything I can do about it, anything AT ALL? I'm desperate here. All I need to do is set up the iPhone, becuase I want to just use it as an iPod... I've been through the communities in Apple and T-Mobile, plus searched the Internet. Should I flash the phone? I'm going to a T-Mobile store today to see if I can get it fixed. Please don't say it's hopeless, I've also contacted the seller, hoping she can help me, becuase I feel sort of cheated as she told me I should be able to use it as an iPod with no problem whatsoever. And now I can't even get into the phone 😟

Thank you for any help you can give.

iPhone 5c, Bad ESN with Sprint

Posted on Jun 14, 2014 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2014 12:26 PM

The T-Mobile guy didn't know what he or she was talking about. Rewriting the ESN or IMEI is illegal, as in go to jail illegal if caught. And how would you know what to rewrite it to? There are lots of services on the Internet that claim they can do this. Most are outright scams; they will take your money and you will still have a useless phone afterwards. And it can't be done remotely; they must actually have possession of the phone.

What you CAN do is get a used and disabled Sprint SIM; you should then be able to activate the phone as an iPod. Apple does not enforce Sprint's blacklist; it's only if you try to activate it with a live Sprint SIM that you won't be able to do it.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2014 12:26 PM in response to eh1110

The T-Mobile guy didn't know what he or she was talking about. Rewriting the ESN or IMEI is illegal, as in go to jail illegal if caught. And how would you know what to rewrite it to? There are lots of services on the Internet that claim they can do this. Most are outright scams; they will take your money and you will still have a useless phone afterwards. And it can't be done remotely; they must actually have possession of the phone.

What you CAN do is get a used and disabled Sprint SIM; you should then be able to activate the phone as an iPod. Apple does not enforce Sprint's blacklist; it's only if you try to activate it with a live Sprint SIM that you won't be able to do it.

Aug 7, 2017 9:19 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Actually sir you can flash an iPhone and get a phone unlocked from sprint. I paid to have mine flashed because my aunt was murdered and my phone and my brothers phone were on her account and because neither of us could pay $350 bill every month they wanted their phones background or to pay the remaining balance on each. I paid $89 for my phone to be taken off sprints network and I have cricket now and the phone has worked great ever since. So your information that you're telling people is not true.

Aug 7, 2017 9:25 AM in response to Jae1020

Jae1020 wrote:

Actually sir you can flash an iPhone and get a phone unlocked from sprint. I paid to have mine flashed because my aunt was murdered and my phone and my brothers phone were on her account and because neither of us could pay $350 bill every month they wanted their phones background or to pay the remaining balance on each. I paid $89 for my phone to be taken off sprints network and I have cricket now and the phone has worked great ever since. So your information that you're telling people is not true.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of this thread. Phones can be unlocked from a carrier. The IMEI cannot be changed. Cricket doesn't care if you have an outstanding bill with Sprint. They will activate an unlocked phone on their network.

By the way, if you had your phone hacked to unlock it from Sprint as it sounds like you did, realize that the next time you update the iOS, it may end up being locked back to Sprint.

Jun 14, 2014 3:41 PM in response to eh1110

Also, I did not think it was lost or stolen when I bought it. The seller had good reviews. I only paid 130 for it, because I'm not willing to pay anything more than 150 at the moment, but I wanted something new. I THINK THIS PHONE WAS STOLEN. T-Mobile didn't say anything when I gave them the IMEI number and "activated" the phone with service, yet I know it has bad ESN.

Jun 15, 2014 11:22 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hmmm. The people at T-Mobile told me that, yes, it was blocked, and that I'd need to get it flashed from Sprint to T-Mobile, and then it would work. I found a few websites that said that flashing would erase it from the blacklist, too. The seller didn't offer returns (I'm trying to contact her/him though), but it would still be cheaper for me to flash the phone than to sell it and get a new one that has a clean ESN for 500 bucks.

Jun 15, 2014 11:40 AM in response to eh1110

Since you think you know more than I do, why are you bothering to ask? Note that the article you linked to is a generic article for all cell phones. It is clearly wrong for iPhones because they have no ROM to flash. The ESN and IMEI is wired into hardware. Everything else (iOS settings, content, baseband) is in RAM. In any case, it is hacking the phone, and, as the article says, it may bring undesired attention to you if the phone actually is stolen.

Jun 15, 2014 11:56 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Well, obviously I don't know you so how would I know if I know more than you? I have found stores that will flash my iPhone plus the T-MOBILE guy told me to flash my phone (so obviously I can!). I wish you guys would just answer my question instead of giving me advice- How do I use this phone as an iPod? Do I need to activate it, or flash it, or what do I need to do? I don't think it's completely useless, if I flash it.

Is There Anything I Can Do About Bad ESN?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.