6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2014 9:19 PM by 1Expat
1Expat Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I wondering about OS X v 10.7 or 10.8. Current system:

I am considering upgrading but have a couple questions. Hoping someone will take the time to explain some things.

1) Can I upgrade to 10.7? 10.8?

2) If I do, will all of my currently installed applications (Adobe Creative Suite, Word for Mac, really a myriad of smaller applications) need to be reinstalled?

The reason that I am interested is some aps I am interested in require 10.7 or greater. I am also hoping that the ugrade will help with the slowing speed up my system. What do you think?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.66 Ghz Intel Core i7, 4GB DDR3
  • Barry Hemphill Level 8 Level 8 (36,955 points)

Apple no longer distributes those versions of OS X. Why do you not wish to move to Mavericks (which is free) - OS X 10.9?

As an aside, a new version of the operating system will not, IMHO, speed up a slow system.

Barry

• 1Expat Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks Barry. I didn't realize that there was another option! A FREE one to boot! My only unanswered question is this: Will I have to reinstall all of my applications? I should mention that I have a rarely used bootcamp installation.

David

Check your applications for compatibility with OS X 10.9. Some may need to be upgraded. You will not have to reinstall applications.

I do not use bootcamp (perish the thought that a Microsoft application be running on my system ). There is a bootcamp version running in OS X 10.9 (from what I think I recall from reading other posts).

Look at the system requirements to be sure that your computer will run OS X 10.9. As an aside, I think the minimum memory requirement is 2 GB....IMHO 4 GB is a minimum.

Barry

• Niel Level 10 Level 10 (284,875 points)

Not unless a problem occurs; back up everything, including Boot Camp, first.

Barry: Apple still does. Download codes for them are available on the online Apple Store.

(108294)

Thanks Niel

Barry

• 1Expat Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks very much for your help and advice. I will back up everything and then try 10.9.