Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my unread iCloud mail suddenly disappearing?

This has been happening for the past week or so. I had 23 unread messages in my iCloud account. I opened Mail on my iMac, and the messages were gone. I then went to my iPhone, and the messages were there, but disappeared due to the syncing. I went to the iCloud website and could not find them anywhere. This is a serious problem, as I am losing messages and they are not in any of the trashes!

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jun 15, 2014 5:44 AM

18 replies

Jun 15, 2014 1:10 PM in response to ShariPotter

Check in the Archive folder to see if they are missing or if they were just moved from the Inbox.

Do you have Time Machine backup? If yes, you can recover but in the mean time, you might want to forward your messages to another account as backup. You can setup a Gmail or Outlook.com account if you don't have a second account.

Forward all messages automatically

1. In iCloud Mail, choose Preferences from the Action pop-up menu in the sidebar.

2. In the General pane, select “Forward my email to,” then type the forwarding address in the text field.

3. If you don’t want to store a copy of each forwarded message in iCloud, select “Delete messages after forwarding.” 
Keep in mind that storing copies of forwarded messages decreases your available iCloud storage space.

4. Click Done.

Jun 15, 2014 3:44 PM in response to ShariPotter

Make sure when forwarding you don't select to delete. You just want to backup until we can figure out what is happening.

If it were a mix of POP and IMAP it's not unusual to see missing messages but for IMAP we generally don't see unexplained missing messages.

Check rules and schedules to be sure nothing is set to delete.

BTW, rather than Restore from Time Machine copy the Mail folder to the Desktop. You can select to import specific folders.

Jun 16, 2014 3:45 AM in response to Csound1

Yesterday, however, some things were just forwarded and didn't show up in the icloud mailbox. I'll keep an eye on what happens here. Three emails forwarded, two addressed to the .mac and one to .me, were in the gmail spam folder, but never showed up in icloud. When I looked in the icloud "junk" folder, nothing was in it. This is all very strange and inconsistent.

Jun 16, 2014 12:16 PM in response to dianeoforegon

I actually did that a few days ago. I had forwarding on for a few days, things seemed back to normal. Then I turned off forwarding, and a couple of days later, the unread emails disappeared. I am noticing that not everything is being forwarded. Also, when I read something on the icloud account, it then becomes "read" on the google account. It is all very strange. I'm hesitant to turn it off and lose stuff again.

Thank you, dianeoforegon and Csound1 for trying to help me figure this out!

Why is my unread iCloud mail suddenly disappearing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.