Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding AC3 surround mix to ProRes

Hi team,

I'm a complete newbie to Compressor, and I do not have Final Cut on my system. I was looking for advice on how to achieve the following (or even if Compressor is the right tool for the job at all). I'm trying to avoid outlaying heaps of $$ just to generate one MOV.

Background: I need to deliver a master file to a distributor in ProRes 4444. They have not stipulated the audio format, but I already have an AC3 Surround Mix file, and individual audio files for each surround channel in any format you could want. Plus my Master video file has its own Stereo mix built in.

My Goal: to Create a ProRes 4444 file, with both a Stereo and a Surround mix built into it.

Question 1: Does Compressor operate as a stand-alone application without FCP? (I have a ProRes output codec from a 3rd party)

Question 2: Is it possible/desirable to include an AC3 mix in a ProRes MOV for the distributor? This resource suggests it is possible for m4v, but that's not ProRes:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/qa/qa1604/_index.html

Question 3: Is Compressor the right tool for the job? And if so, does anyone have a link to resources on how it is done?

Sorry for all the questions! And thanks in advance for your input.

Ent.

Compressor

Posted on Jun 15, 2014 5:53 AM

6 replies

Jun 17, 2014 7:16 AM in response to Entilza

1. Yes. Compressor 4.1.1 is a stand alone app. You need to be running Mavricks (OSX 10.9) to install it.

2a. ProRes is an editing codec not a delivery one (and why to they want a 4444 format?)

2b/3 Quicktime Pro 7 is able to marry an audio file to a video file.

• make a copy of the video file (so if you screw up you haven't ruined your only copy)

• open the audio file and the backup video file

• Highlight the audio file window and press Command + A (select all) then Command + C (copy)

• click on the video file window to highlight it and select "Add to Movie"

This should put the audio file into the video.

x

Jun 24, 2014 8:02 AM in response to Studio X

Hi all, I have an update question to this:

I've installed Quicktime 7 Pro on OS X (10.9.2) and the ac3 files fail to open in QT7 Pro, reporting "The movie could not be opened. The file is not a movie file." Yet Quicktime Player 10.3 happily opens and plays it. But I need Quicktime 7 Pro to merge the AC3 file into the MOV video, not v10.

I've also tried this on the PC version of Quicktime 7 Pro, and it has the same issue, reporting ac3 is "not a file Quicktime understands".

I've had a google but haven't found anything useful. Help! :-)

Kind regards,

Ent.

Mar 5, 2015 9:08 AM in response to Russ H

Russ, after I do this, should I be able to hear the .ac3 back in QT 7? I saved it through QTX without a problem and then it opens in QT 7 but no audio comes out. I pasted it into the Pro Res QT. It shows up in Movie Properties as an ac3, but QT 7 cannot play the audio. Is there a Quicktime component I need.

Both the original ac3 and the wrapped one play fine in QTX, but the new merged video and audio QT will not open in QTX.

Thanks for any help.

Adding AC3 surround mix to ProRes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.