Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buffering

With my AppleTV, I'm having problems with buffering while watching Hulu, or Netflix. Only on my AppleTV. Using the SAME wifi network, I can watch Hulu or Netflix thru my iPad or my Macbook Air, with NO buffering issues.

What's the deal? I'd prefer to watch on my TV, which is why I got the AppleTV to begin with. I have more than enough bandwith to handle it.

Apple TV (3rd generation), iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Jun 15, 2014 10:26 AM

6 replies

Jul 16, 2014 1:01 PM in response to bigalwood

I have been experiencing similar issues and found a cause and solution. My problem may not have the same cause as others but I thought I would post here in case it helps someone.

I have 3 Apple TVs and several routers in my house and was constantly experiencing buffering issues and freezes until I discovered that the problem was caused by the Apple TV drawing its signal from the wrong router.

In one case I had my Family Room Apple TV sitting right next to my U-verse router, but instead of connecting to the U-verse router via wireless, the Family Room Apple TV was drawing its signal from an Apple Airport router that was all the way across the house in a bedroom. The signal from the Bedroom Airport was much too weak to support streaming so the Family Room AppleTV just buffered endlessly and never switched to the U-verse router that was right next to it. Then I unplugged the Bedroom Airport router that was on the other end of the house and the Family Room Apple TV suddenly connected to the U-verse router and began working flawlessly.

Solution: Used the Airport Utility app to block the mac address of any wireless device that was not close by the Bedroom Airport. In this particular case I took the mac address from my Family Room Apple TV and entered it into the "timed access control" option of the Bedroom Airport and then set it to "no access." Now the Family Room Apple TV always draws its signal from the U-verse router that is right next to it.

Buffering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.