Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

scan photo prints to iPhoto

I have a lot of photo prints taken on old-fashioned film, before the days of digital.

I have an HP Photosmart 5520 scanner/printer which has an option for Photo Preset. The default 'Resolution' setting is 200ppi. There are other options for 75,100,300,600,1200 or 2400 ppi.

My first question is, which 'Resolution' setting should I choose ?

The scanned size at 200 ppi for one print is 2.74MB. When sent to iPhoto its size is reduced to 1MB.

Another apparent anomaly is that although the prints are all 6 inches x 4 inches, their 'info' in iPhoto can vary from anything between 1184 x 791 to 2292 x 1498, and in size from 322 KB to 985 KB.

The digital photos I already have in iPhoto, nevertheless, are all 3888 x 2592 ; but the sizes vary eg from 3.4 MB to 6.1 MB.

File > 'Get Info' for the scanned photos says they are JPEG images and 'color space' is RGB, which I understand is the requisite . . . Can the foregoing re scanned and digital photos be explained ?

Thanks in anticipation

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 15, 2014 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2014 1:18 PM

Depends entirely what you're going to be doing with the Photos. Jpeg is a lossy format, so as you edit each time you save some data is lost. If they require intensive editing, then the more data the better. Are you going to print them? Depending on your devices and the quality you hope to achieve, then perhaps the old 300 dpi for printing is a reasonable rule-of-thumb. If you're uploading them to the internet, say flickr or whatever, then 100 is fine. So, it depends on your proposed usage.

The scanned size at 200 ppi for one print is 2.74MB. When sent to iPhoto its size is reduced to 1MB

iPhoto doesn't reduce the size of anything on import. Where are you seeing these sizes mentioned?

Another apparent anomaly is that although the prints are all 6 inches x 4 inches, their 'info' in iPhoto can vary from anything between 1184 x 791 to 2292 x 1498, and in size from 322 KB to 985 KB.

No anomaly here. Your computer has no "inches" everything is measured in pixels. So the fact that an image is 6x4 in the real world is of no relevance. What matters is the pixel dimensions you choose to digitise (or scan) it. You can create a scan of you 6 x 4 that will be 600 x 400 pixels. (@100dpi) Or you can as easily create one the will be 14,400 x 9,600 (@2,400 dpi)... In other words, don't expect a direct correlation between what you hold in your hand and what you make on the screen. They're different worlds...

But again, iPhoto doesn't change anything on import, so I'd be looking at the scanner for explanations of these variations.

As to the file size, remember not all pixels are the same. An image that is pure white or pure black will have a smaller file size than one of a richly coloured sunset, and will also depend onn the resolution you scan at - so again, no direct correlation, it's a complex equation.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2014 1:18 PM in response to ringnib

Depends entirely what you're going to be doing with the Photos. Jpeg is a lossy format, so as you edit each time you save some data is lost. If they require intensive editing, then the more data the better. Are you going to print them? Depending on your devices and the quality you hope to achieve, then perhaps the old 300 dpi for printing is a reasonable rule-of-thumb. If you're uploading them to the internet, say flickr or whatever, then 100 is fine. So, it depends on your proposed usage.

The scanned size at 200 ppi for one print is 2.74MB. When sent to iPhoto its size is reduced to 1MB

iPhoto doesn't reduce the size of anything on import. Where are you seeing these sizes mentioned?

No anomaly here. Your computer has no "inches" everything is measured in pixels. So the fact that an image is 6x4 in the real world is of no relevance. What matters is the pixel dimensions you choose to digitise (or scan) it. You can create a scan of you 6 x 4 that will be 600 x 400 pixels. (@100dpi) Or you can as easily create one the will be 14,400 x 9,600 (@2,400 dpi)... In other words, don't expect a direct correlation between what you hold in your hand and what you make on the screen. They're different worlds...

But again, iPhoto doesn't change anything on import, so I'd be looking at the scanner for explanations of these variations.

As to the file size, remember not all pixels are the same. An image that is pure white or pure black will have a smaller file size than one of a richly coloured sunset, and will also depend onn the resolution you scan at - so again, no direct correlation, it's a complex equation.

Jun 15, 2014 1:29 PM in response to ringnib

One more thing to consider is the quality of the prints you want to scan. What is the resolution of the prints? If they are old prints and grainy, there will not be much sense in scanning them with many pixels per inch. Make a few test scans with different settings and zoom in on the scanned photos. Do higher ppi settings reveal more detail in the photos, or are you just enlarging the grain or noise?

Jun 15, 2014 6:14 PM in response to Yer_Man

You helped me get started with scanning last month. Thanks for coming to my aid again.

My initial impulse to scan them is to have a backup and hopefully archive them in a state where they won't deteriorate.

I have them currently in 'Swissmagic' frames, where you load a stack into the frame and rotate them by sliding a drawer in and out, and I have noticed some of them beginning to stick together !

I would like to allow for possible editing, but don't know at this stage how intensive that might be.

It is probable at some stage I will want to print them off.

Under the above circumstances I would welcome confirmation if you think 300 ppi is still suitable.

Can the negatives be scanned as well as the prints ?

With regards to the size of the print scanned, initially it appears in the HP Scan window where the 'Info' button reveals the following : 'Estimated File Size (uncompressed) 2.74MB'.

In iPhoto the 'Info' button reveals the same print as 1.0MB. Is it being compressed ?

The Dimensions I quoted were slightly misleading as I forgot the one of 2292 x 1498 was a single one I had scanned at a higher resolution than the others. My apologies.

All the others were at 200 ppi and have the Dimensions of roughly 1200 x 800 eg 1194 x 806, 1184 x 791, 1190 x 804, 1196 x 798. The Dimensions between the HP Scan window and iPhoto remain the same, and don't change. It is only the file size that changes.

Jun 15, 2014 11:24 PM in response to ringnib

300dpi seems a reasonaable compromise between file size and your uses.

Yes, negatives can be scanned, but you'll need to read the manual of your scanner for more on that.

With regards to the size of the print scanned, initially it appears in the HP Scan window where the 'Info' button reveals the following : 'Estimated File Size (uncompressed) 2.74MB'.

In iPhoto the 'Info' button reveals the same print as 1.0MB. Is it being compressed ?

This is a mite complex. Jpeg is a compression format, not a photo format. In other words, what happens with an image is that it's wrapped in a jpeg to save disk space. (Think of it like a zip format designed specifically for photos).

So, when you view a Jpeg it's decompressed - that's what the HP Scan winodw is telling you - the size of the image in the decompressed state.

iPhoto is telling you the size of the same file in the compressed state.

The file sizes on those images will vary depending on the data within the photos - as I said above, not all pixels are equal...

scan photo prints to iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.