Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail displaying incorrect name to the "To" and "from" field of all of my Hotmail emails

When Hotmail is viewed via Mac Mail, the To: field displays the recipient’s name & Hotmail address. There is a serious problem with my incoming Hotmail … instead of displaying my name and Hotmail email address it displays my friend’s name (initials are RB) alongside my Hotmail email address ... for every Hotmail email that is sent to me no matter who emails me. My contact/address book entries for my name and my friend are correct in Mac Address Book and Hotmail Contacts. Very strange.

1. Mac Mail seems to be adding recipient name to the To: field of all of my Hotmail emails & putting in the wrong name next to my email address! I say this because the officialwww.hotmail.com site only displays a recipient email address in the To: field (no name appears). This error is only happening in Mac Mail with my Hotmail emails (not happening with my Gmail and Yahoo emails).
  2. How/why is a wrong name/my friend's name displayed next to my email address in every Hotmail message I view in Mac Mail?
  3. This error is only occurring in incoming Hotmail messages addressed to me. Emails that I send using my Hotmail show my name & email address correctly in the From field.

Thank you

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 15, 2014 2:26 PM

1 reply

Jun 15, 2014 2:52 PM in response to Dogless1

Mail has Smart Addresses that will display the name and email address under Preferences > Viewing, but your issue sounds like a different issue.

Did you setup an outlook.com alias in Outlook.com when it made the transition? If not, add an alias and see if that helps. You can also test sending from the outlook.com alias to see if the results are as expected.

For example if your Hotmail email is YOURNAME@hotmail.com then setup an alias YOURNAME@outlook.com.

User uploaded file

If that fails, test in a new User.

Create a new User in System Preferences.

You can skip the Apple ID setup unless you are testing iCloud.

Select Don't Sign in > Continue > Skip

Open Mail and enter your Hotmail account.

Does the problem go away?

Mac Mail displaying incorrect name to the "To" and "from" field of all of my Hotmail emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.