Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login timed out after 300 seconds [Term]

Dear,

since yesterday my terminal (and also iTerm) don't work!

When I start it, my computer freeze and than I have the meassage

Login timed out after 300 seconds

[Process completed]

I tried many things:

remove the plist file from Library/Preferences

substitute the Term.app with one of another mac with the same OS...nothing helped!

The strange thing is that xterm does not have any problem. If I run XQartz and open

xterm everything is fine and smooth.

my OS is: 10.9.3

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 15, 2014 11:46 PM

8 replies

Jun 16, 2014 5:59 AM in response to cgiocoli

Is there anything interesting in the Applications -> Utilities -> Console logs that relates to when you get the timeout error?

Have you tried creating a new Applications -> System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> [+] and create a new account? Does the new account have any problems starting a terminal session?

The fact that it happens for BOTH Terminal.app and iTerm.app indicates it is something common to both, so that kind-of eliminates the Library/Preferences/*.plist for each of those apps.

I think getting past login is required before any attempt to use the shell initialization files can happen, unless you added something to your shell initialization files that tries to login again (eg. exec login; unlikely I know, but I felt I had to ask).

Your account information used to authenticate the login session, as well as provide the shell to launch, UID and GID, home directory, etc... is common to both, and comes from the Mac OS X equivalent to the /etc/passwd file, only Apple uses something different for user accounts.

I'm guessng that xterm maybe used a less complex way to obtain the login information, and that is why it succeeded (really just a guess).

Jun 16, 2014 7:23 AM in response to BobHarris

Hi,

I did reeboot a lot of times and I tried also to create a new account, nothing helped...sorry.

The consol barely work, it is always freezing my computer and to have some info I need different minutes.

I did eliminate the *Term*plist files for both terminals but the problem is still there.

I'm considering to back-up my account and re-install everything from zero.

Login timed out after 300 seconds [Term]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.