Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Installation cannot directly upgrade the version of iPod software

I tried to upgrade to itunes 7, but get the following error:

This installation cannot directly upgrade the version of iPod software found on this computer. Please uninstall the iPod software and try again.

Which the stops the installation.

Using the Ipod updater from 2006-06-28, it claims that the ipod software is upto date.

Now my Ipod is ancient, but the download page doesn't mention any problems associated to your generation of Ipod.
I am running windows Xp with all the latest security updates.

I have tried uninstalling the ipod software and restarting, but got the same message.

Any help is appreciated.

Windows XP

Posted on Sep 13, 2006 9:23 AM

4 replies

Sep 15, 2006 2:45 PM in response to daw6201

Alright, I had the exact same problems all of you had, and the one thing that wasn't working properly for me was removing the "ipod for Windows" software. For whatever reason, I think iTunes has trouble removing it and that it may not uninstall properly on some computers, namely ours. Anyways, to fix the problem I used the program here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290301

It's just the windows install cleanup utility. Just install the program remove the "ipod for Windows" software and then run the itunes 7 install, it worked for me and it should for you.

Regards.

Sep 13, 2006 2:41 PM in response to daw6201

I have the same problem. I am pretty certain it has something to do with the new version. I deleted my old itunes and then wanted to reinstall itunes 7, but the same problem happened to me. I went to apple and installed the older version of the itunes back onto my computer: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/itunes605forwindows.html
I guess we'll have to wait until apple fixes this problem.
good luck.

Error Installation cannot directly upgrade the version of iPod software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.