Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is 1600 RPM too high for fans?

The default fan speed is 1400 RPM but when I play games I turn it to 1600 RPM using SMC Fan Control. Is that too high?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), i5 2.9Ghz, nVidia GT 750m 1GB

Posted on Jun 16, 2014 7:19 AM

19 replies

Jun 16, 2014 7:50 AM in response to Andrei Cristian

What is the difference between the idle and gamming temp's...? Personally I might kick it up a little higher if the temps were still going above 75C.

FWIW I still have an Early 2006 Core Duo iMac that has been on SMCfancontrol for 8+ years and it has never had a hardware failure. Contrary to what others say here. I say that, controlling the temp's has made all my Mac's last years longer.

Jun 16, 2014 8:12 AM in response to Andrei Cristian

What are the temps at 1,600, while gaming? Which fan is that? Is this one of the newer Macs with only one fan?

If you don't have some kind of temperature software, get

http://www.bresink.com/osx/0TemperatureMonitor/download.php

And post the temps.

If the default is 1,400, if needed, I think you could probably go even a bit higher, as Den said. My defaults are 1,000, 1,100 and 1,200 ODD, HDD, CPU. There I wouldn't push anything faster than around 1,600, not at least for a prolonged period.

Jun 16, 2014 8:20 AM in response to WZZZ

Everyone has their own preferences for manually setting the iMac's fans.

That is why I only advise a max range for the fans for people setting the IMac fan speeds, manually.

I run the three fans in my 2009 iMac in the 1200-1500 RPM range.

Plus, I run a small, portable desktop fan from behind blowing on the back and toward the top of my iMac, too!

Jun 16, 2014 8:48 AM in response to MichelPM

That is why I only advise a max range for the fans for people setting the IMac fan speeds, manually.

But you cannot advise a max speed in isolation, as you have. It all depends on the default speed. 1,400->1,600 is only +200, while my default HDD at 1,100, which I may push up to 1,600 is + 500.

Anyway, it's mostly guesswork. No one really can say how fast is too fast. And no one's going to do any trials to find out at what speeds and for how long running at those speeds will premature aging of a fan motor likely begin.

And there's also the tradeoff of increased dust input from higher fan speeds to consider.

I have a window fan that's 40+ years old and still going strong (cheap shaft bearing), mainly because I have an electronic variable speed control which allows me to set it at the lowest necessary speed, plus I oil it periodically--something you can't do with an iMac fan.

Jun 16, 2014 11:28 AM in response to Lexiepex

In general there is no reason to set the fan speed: the mac takes care of itself.

No, sounds good in theory, but not in practice. The fans in the iMacs are set for quiet running, not for longevity of the hardware. The fans will not ramp up quickly enough or at all to deal with higher temps. Heat kills hardware, especially drives.

Is 1600 RPM too high for fans?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.