Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Greyed out Face tagging- Still!?!

I have a library of 15,000 photos. I would say only 1/16th of them have face tags. I have done library rebuilding. I have been on the phone with support to try their "Solutions". I see no spinning wheel next to faces like it's actually working to find more. However, iPhoto continues to write 387mb to my drive every minute while open. I am assuming it is finding photos to face tag, but I look through and there isn't that many new face tags. Terrible that it takes that much space to tag a face. I have left my library open for about 6 months now and it's still writing and writing to my drive and tagging photos is still greyed out on a majority of my photos.

I want a real answer from someone who is intimate about the program. If this program was made for a library of 500 photos then just friggin tell me and I will move on!

Does anyone know a proceedure that will fix this issue and force the faces to work properly? Quickly identifying missing faces and allowing tagging of all photos in libraries this large.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 16, 2014 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2014 11:02 AM

So, what solutions have you tried? It saves time for everyone if you tell us all the things you know already won't work.

Also: the people who answer on this forum are users, just like you. They give of their own time and whatever knowledge they have on a voluntary basis. If someone stopped you on the street looking for directions, would you prefer if they asked you politely and clearly for help? Would a bad tempered rant about the map they bought or the road signage make you more or less inclined to help?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2014 11:02 AM in response to thead65

So, what solutions have you tried? It saves time for everyone if you tell us all the things you know already won't work.

Also: the people who answer on this forum are users, just like you. They give of their own time and whatever knowledge they have on a voluntary basis. If someone stopped you on the street looking for directions, would you prefer if they asked you politely and clearly for help? Would a bad tempered rant about the map they bought or the road signage make you more or less inclined to help?

Jun 16, 2014 11:32 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence I could do without your life lessons. I am a faithful Apple supporter and I have been for 10 years. I never lash out on forums but I have hit a limit. This product is the only software product that is terrible (I use tons of products for home and enterprise) and it seems as if no one is working to resolve the issues. I have spent countless hours on the phone with iLife support trying to rebuild the library and rebuild the database in order to get faces recognized.

I hear they are moving to a new model after the first of the year so it seems we are further abandoned until then.

Jun 16, 2014 12:18 PM in response to Yer_Man

I have given you all the information I have, yet you still try to make unuseful remarks. You wouldn't say this to my face so why do you choose to do so behind your computer? I have been more than pleasant on the phone with Apple support, but I will always express my unhappiness with a product. I am expressing my frustration here because there have been many other posts about the same problem and it's been ongoing since iphoto 09'. Ask me a useful question Terence if I haven't provided every single detail.

Jun 16, 2014 2:31 PM in response to thead65

There's a question that might yield useful answers. You have provided no details at all, not even the most basic information such as the version of iPhoto, where your Library is stored and so on.

And yes, I would happily say everything I have already written to your face. Frankly, your frustrations with Apple Support are of no interest, nor is your unhappiness. I don't work for Apple, no one here does. But I know something of iPhoto and am often happy to help other users. That said, users who simply whine and are argumentative soon prove tiresome and I quickly lose interest.

Greyed out Face tagging- Still!?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.