Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Has Stopped Working Error

Can anybody help with that good ol’ staple “iTunes has stopped working” error?

From event viewer: Faulting application iTunes.exe, version 11.2.2.3, time stamp 0x5383f31a, faulting module CoreFoundation.dll, version 1.750.24.0, time stamp 0x52a28a28, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000a9908, process id 0xdb0, application start time 0x01cf898260ec3b90.

• Tried uninstall and reinstall of both iTunes and Quicktime, also reinstalled as admin for each
  • Tried with both 32-bit and 64-bit iTunes
  • Tried removing the files from C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Apple Computer\iTunes and C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes
  • Tried copying the .dll files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support to C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes
  • Opened iTunes in safe mode. It was fine until I tried to view my Match tab, or update iTunes Match, then gave same crash (the error log is actually from safe mode).

It usually won’t crash until I try to view my Match tab or update iTunes Match. Also after I removed the files from the local preferences, I apparently wiped out the library file in the process, because now the only files showing in my library are the maybe 50 or so I’ve purchased through iTunes since I installed to this machine, and not the 10,000+ I’d had in the library before, and that are all uploaded to my iTunes Match, which are all on a local hard drive.

Vista Home Premium SP2 64-bit, up to date on Windows updates.

Windows Vista

Posted on Jun 16, 2014 10:01 AM

5 replies

Jun 24, 2014 5:21 AM in response to drummerboydyl

Hi there... i think i found it!! After months with your same issue, error started occurring when i clicked on "iTunes Store" from iTunes (On Win7 Enterprise 64bit Sp1), unuseful talks with Apple support, unsuccessful attempts to follow other users' directions that for them worked... i found your post and concentrated on COREFOUNDATION.DLL.

I searched my PC for it, and i found it in 3 different locations:

1 - C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support (dated Feb.12, 2014)

2 - C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services (dated Sep.14, 2013)

3 - C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\iTunes (dated Mar.12, 2014)

I renamed them all to make them unusable, and iTunes wouldn't start. Then i brought back one version at a time, and found that leaving only number 1 active my issue is SOLVED!!!

Now Apple will benefit from me returning to SPEND MONEY in the AppleStore, i believe they should award me with a prize!!!!

Hope this helps you and others as well!

Cheers

Mar 5, 2016 12:56 PM in response to MusicaBella

I've got this happening on a 32 bit Windows 7 system, I found one old corefoundation.dll in my Safari folder, and only one newer version in Common Files, none in Itunes itself.

It used to be it only crashed if I tried to go to the store, but now it crashes on startup. I even uninstalled iTunes 11 with Revo and deleted all of the leftovers, and it's even worse. I'm still searching for other copies, but Windows search has been ineffective since XP.

It seems that Corefoundation.dll has to be in the main iTunes folder and also in the Common Files/Apple folder, but regardless, iTunes crashes on start and blames NTDLL.DLL which is the Windows kernel, so I don't know what's happening. I'll try removing Safari.

Mar 5, 2016 1:08 PM in response to XweAp0nX

Such errors can usually be fixed by deleting the offending dll, then repairing the component it is part of from the programs and features control panel. CoreFoundation.dll is part of Apple Application Support and can normally be found in

• C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support or
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support

where the name of the Program Files folder may vary by region.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try theiTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for performance issues or compatibility with third party software.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Mar 5, 2016 6:57 PM in response to turingtest2

Ok, basically all of that wasn't needed, I basically rebuilt my iTunes from Scratch. The problem IS, that the Apple Software Updates for iCloud replace the common files and updated the coremedia.dll file and the replacements are not compatible with iTunes 11.2.2.3. In some cases other DLLs are deleted or replaced as well, the newer versions removing internal links to other DLLs that are part of 11.2.2.3 but not any iteration of iTunes 12.

I have to use 11.2.2.3 because I remain on iOS 8.4, have remained on it since I saw iOS 9 and decided I liked what I had. I had updated my iPad Mini to 9.0.2 and was forced to update to iTunes 12.something on the PC I was using to keep that backed up. That device is now barely usable, I was sorely disappointed because iOS 8.3 and 8.4 were so good, worked great even on my old iPhone 4S. But mainly, I don't like iOS 9's "App Slicing" which prevents us from backing up our apps right off the device- I keep a large library of my old IPA files, I transfer purchases several times a week. And these are all my IPA files, signed to me, so nobody else can use them. And, considering that updating my devices is a one-way trip, I'd rather have what works best for me than any new gadgets that I can't really take advantage of, not having a 6S and force-touch. I use a 5s now, and iOS 8 is fine.

My final beef with iTunes 12 is that I hate that 12 has removed the Sidebar and right-click functions and moved all of the main functions to some hidden area, which is not as easy to get to as it was in previous iTunes.

So, with that ranting out of the way (which should explain why I insist on staying with iTunes 11.2.2.3) - Here's how I dealt with the corruption. I downloaded Revo Uninstaller from MajorGeeks and I started by removing iCloud, then Quicktime Pro (I have my name and reg code saved), then iTunes itself, all using Revo's advanced option which allows you to remove every leftover file and reg key associated with the apps. I moved on to Apple Software Update, Apple Application Support, and finally Apple Mobile Device support. I left Bonjour and Bonjour Print Wizard, because those don't interact with other apple software. Once I cleared all of the Apple Apps out, I used iCleaner Pro to remove any junk not seen by Revo and remove any Reg Entries that Revo did not get. Boom. Then I rebooted my PC.

I plugged my 5S into the USB port and it immediately found my iPhone and installed Drivers, while at the same time I installed iTunes 11.2.2.3 and it re-installed all of the pieces of iTunes that had been updated by running the Apple Software Update. And it worked, it did not crash right away like it was doing. But this leaves me without an iCloud app, unless I can find a version from the same time that iTunes 11.2.2.3 was released. Because if I install an older version, or a newer version, it will replace needed DLLs including CoreFoundation.dll

Finally, I don't know if I can log in to the App Store in iTunes, I'm afraid to try in case it starts crashing again-- YES! It worked. So I'm all good with iTunes again, my library is intact, it's got four years of backups saved. If the DLL replacement trick works, then do it, it should work for 64 bit systems. But I'm on a 32 bit system. So, the only surefire way yo make sure you can get iTunes working again is by removing every Apple file and reg key for all associated apps. Finally, I had replaced my main HDD several times over the years, right now it's a 1TB Hitachi drive, every time you move your HDD to a new drive, some of your system files get corrupt. But my iTunes was fine until I installed the latest iCloud and Quicktime updates. So, I'll go back to Quicktime 7.7.5. I just need to know which version of iCloud to use and where I can download it. Just remember, use only the Revo Advanced Option when removing the apps, else it will leave a corrupted or replaced file in there, and iTunes installation will just leave it and you'll have to do this all over again.

Thanks, sorry for the large reply.

iTunes Has Stopped Working Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.