Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just got a "warning system may have found viruses on your computer" message on safari

I just got a "warning: system may have found viruses on your computer" message on safari that mentioned system may have found 2 malicious viruses: Rootkit.Sirefef.Spy and Trojan.FafeAV-Download. Also a phone # to call for help in removing the viruses. I have a MacPro I don't know if this is for real or spam. I had to force quit safari and turn off and then back on my computer but when I clicked on safari again the message was still poping up. Does anyone know and can anyone help me? Thank you.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Jun 16, 2014 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2014 12:50 PM

Fraudulent spam. Not only is it impossible to diagnose your computer's health, virus status, etc, by visiting a web page, Macs don't get viruses of that kind. Calling that number would have prompted the perpetrator to take your money and/or gain remote access to your computer.

Quit Safari completely by holding down your cursor on the dock icon and choosing Quit when you see it appear, or hitting cmd-Q when the Safari menu is visible on the top left of the screen. Once it has completely quit (there is no light under the dock icon), hold down the Shift key on the keyboard, and launch Safari again.

Safari will normally try to reload whatever webpages were open when it last quit; holding Shift will cancel this behaviour. And try to avoid going back to whatever webpage you were on when you got the popup.

Matt

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2014 12:50 PM in response to mayfray

Fraudulent spam. Not only is it impossible to diagnose your computer's health, virus status, etc, by visiting a web page, Macs don't get viruses of that kind. Calling that number would have prompted the perpetrator to take your money and/or gain remote access to your computer.

Quit Safari completely by holding down your cursor on the dock icon and choosing Quit when you see it appear, or hitting cmd-Q when the Safari menu is visible on the top left of the screen. Once it has completely quit (there is no light under the dock icon), hold down the Shift key on the keyboard, and launch Safari again.

Safari will normally try to reload whatever webpages were open when it last quit; holding Shift will cancel this behaviour. And try to avoid going back to whatever webpage you were on when you got the popup.

Matt

I just got a "warning system may have found viruses on your computer" message on safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.