Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I backup my ipad without having the password?

I have an ipad 3. Some time ago the glass broke so I started using my wifes ipad. I finally got around to fixing it but now I don't remember the password (I tried usual suspects, but now I have to wait an hour between each new try). I know how to restore, but that will wipe all the data (I don't have backups of this device on this machine).

What I'd like to do is a backup of the device, THEN restore as new. That way, I know I'll at least still have my data (lots of photos) in that saved backup for whenever I can remember the password. But at least I won't have to rememinber it NOW to use it. Basically I don't mind doing a system wipe and having all my data lost if I know there is an image of it on my machine that I migth be able to get into somehow/someway.

So is there a way to do a backup without knowing the password? Either using iTunes or another app?

Bonus question: If I do a "restore", what iOS version gets restored? Does it check for the latest or? I ask because this iPad doesn't have iOS7 and I don't really want it (I'd rather keep 6.x that's on it)

Thanks in advance!

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 6

Posted on Jun 16, 2014 5:58 PM

7 replies

Jun 16, 2014 7:56 PM in response to deggie

deggie: It seems I haven't sync'd it with this PC before becase the only options iTunes gives me is to enter the password first so I can access it. Although it's been a while since I've used it (its an ipad 3, got it pretty close to launch, broke the glass, and have used my wifes ipad 2 since), I'm pretty sure this is the same PC as when I was using it so I was pretty suprised that it wouldn't see it as mine. Unless my iTunes is now set to (only?) work with my iphone and my wifes ipda?

So I don't want to restore as that'll wipe all my data forever (and I really don't want iOS 7.1.1)

Can I backup my ipad without having the password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.