Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optical Digital-out port problem

Optical digital-out port problem

I have been dealing with the following problem with my macbook speakers: I can't get the Speakers to work. It doesn't show up on System Preferences as an option for Sound Output.

I am confident that it is not a hardware issue. I have windows running in the mac and the speakers are working just fine. Unfortunately on the mac OS the Sound Output is shown as Optical digital-out port. When headphones are plugged in, it works just fine.

I have installed a new version of the OS and I have reset the PRAM and SMC without any luck.

Any help will be appreciated.

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 16, 2014 6:53 PM

4 replies

Jun 21, 2014 7:17 AM in response to a brody

Oops, you say it is working in Windows? Are you running any system modification programs that edit system cache or preferences?

The worst of these is MacKeeper, which can only be removed this way:

Do not install MacKeeper

In general, the only maintenance Mac OS X needs is a backup software. Everything else is just fluff and can cause more system issues than they resolve.

Optical Digital-out port problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.