Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File named .DS_Store on my desktop and won't delete-how to delete?

I recently used AVG Cleaner. Now I have a file on my desktop called .DS_Store that won't delete. I tried dragging it to my garbage can and secure erasing it, but it just keeps popping up on my desktop. Other than that my computer is running just fine. How do I get rid of this desktop file for good?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Happened after I upgraded to Maveri

Posted on Jun 16, 2014 8:57 PM

8 replies

Jun 16, 2014 9:03 PM in response to tiggerkenwood

It's an invisible file that should not appear. It cannot be deleted. Try this:

Open Terminal in the Utilities folder. At the prompt enter or paste:

chflags hidden ~/Desktop/.DS_Store

Press RETURN. See if that makes it disappear. If you get an error about not having privileges then place "sudo" in front of the command line: sudo chflags hidden ~/Desktop/.DS_Store

Jun 16, 2014 9:15 PM in response to tiggerkenwood

That is a global command affecting all hidden files. Mine affects a single file. Had you said that you had lots of files on the Desktop or elsewhere with the "." preceding the name, then I would have known you needed the global setting.

It was most likely caused by the AVG software that you should not have installed. You should uninstall the AVG software because it is not needed, can possibly cause problems such as this one, and can slow down the computer.

Helpful Links Regarding Malware Protection

An excellent link to read is Tom Reed's Mac Malware Guide.

Also, visit The XLab FAQs and read Detecting and avoiding malware and spyware.

See these Apple articles:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard and malware detection

OS X Lion- Protect your Mac from malware

OS X Mountain Lion- Protect your Mac from malware

About file quarantine in OS X

If you require anti-virus protection Thomas Reed recommends using Dr.Web Light from the App Store. It's free, and since it's from the App Store, it won't destabilize the system. If you prefer one of the better known commercial products, then Thomas recommends using Sophos.(Thank you to Thomas Reed for these recommendations.) If you already use Sophos, then be aware of this if you are using Mavericks: OS X Mavericks- Sophos Anti-Virus on-access scanner versions 8.0 - 9.1 may cause unexpected restarts

From user Joe Bailey comes this equally useful advice:

The facts are:

1. There is no anti-malware software that can detect 100% of the malware out there.

2. There is no anti-malware that can detect anything targeting the Mac because there

is no Mac malware in the wild, and therefore, no "signatures" to detect.

3. The very best way to prevent the most attacks is for you as the user to be aware that

the most successful malware attacks rely on very sophisticated social engineering

techniques preying on human avarice, ****, and fear.

4. Internet popups saying the FBI, NSA, Microsoft, your ISP has detected malware on

your computer is intended to entice you to install their malware thinking it is a

protection against malware.

5. Some of the anti-malware products on the market are worse than the malware

from which they purport to protect you.

6. Be cautious where you go on the internet.

7. Only download anything from sites you know are safe.

8. Avoid links you receive in email, always be suspicious even if you get something

you think is from a friend, but you were not expecting.

9. If there is any question in your mind, then assume it is malware.

Sep 4, 2015 8:57 AM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy, I have the same problem as OP, but before I use Terminal and enter the command you listed to remove .DS_Store from my desktop, I noticed that the .DS_Store file is listed under Launchagents

My question, if I delete .DS_Store from Launchagents, would this delete the file completely? I don't want to delete the file, I simply don't want it to keep reappearing on my desktop. I'm guessing that if the .DS_Store file is under Launchagent, maybe that's the reason it on my desktop?

Thanks

File named .DS_Store on my desktop and won't delete-how to delete?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.